Thread: Check Your Bladder !

Check Your Bladder !

Today, replaced another Franklin PumpTec on our well. Due to sorry manufacturing standards, they barely last the warranty. As part of servicing, checked the air pressure in the bladder tanks. They should have been around 28 PSI , which is 2 PSI below cut in pressure on switch. One was around 20 PSI, and the other was almost ZERO. Found that one to have a bad Schrader valve ( leaks slowly,) which I replaced. If you have a well with a bladder tank, you should at least annually check the pressure in the bladder tank. To check pressure, drain water from tanks, then using a tire pressure gauge, check pressure. Adjust air pressure to be 2 PSI BELOW cut in pressure on switch. By doing this, you will lengthen the life of your pump.

Yes! If the bladder has lost air it will cycle improperly and you will have inconsistant water pressure and flow. Learned that the hard way at the cottage.

My bladder is not even close to being as strong as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    My bladder is not even close to being as strong as it used to be.
    I just spilled my iced tea!!!

Blog Entries
    I have had a 44 gallon Well X Trol bladder type water pressure tank in my basement for over 25 years. The tank has never failed and continues to function properly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Just wait.
    When you get older - you'll do/spill more than your iced tea when your bladder goes .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have had a 44 gallon Well X Trol bladder type water pressure tank in my basement for over 25 years. The tank has never failed and continues to function properly.
    It's a crap shoot as to how long a bladder tank lasts. In 1980, I bought two (same time,) one for myself and other for best friend. Mine is still in service (42 years.) Friends lasted just thru the warranty (5 years.) The one I'm going to use on my booster tank (44 gallon) for plant nursery was a dumpster rescue, made 2002, meaning it's over 20 years old. Once was working under a house (not on water system) when bladder tank at other end of house ruptured. Only time I've even seen the bottom blow out of one. Usually the bladder developes a hole, or Schrader valve leaks, and tank slowly fills with water as air is lost. That's why it's important to yearly do a pressure check.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-21-2022 at 9:43 AM.

Less worry for your bladder, then...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 175 gallon tank that had a floating membrane. set to 40 on 60 off

And the iced tea causes kidney stones. Further torturing your bladder. Double whammy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.