Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a uv light darken cherry?

Will a uv light darken cherry?

I am working on a project that I would like to speed up the natural darkening of cherry that happens over time. Will a uv light before I spray finish achieve the same thing as a few years of natural aging?

I don't know if a UV light will do it but I was able to set a cherry project outside in direct sunlight and it darkened it quite quickly. We live in an arid area, so we don't get much rain.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not as fast as having the piece sitting in direct sunlight, plus you don't have to use electricity! You can see the difference in a single day of sitting out on the driveway.

Will a uv light before I spray finish achieve the same thing as a few years of natural aging?
    In my experience - no.
    I tried it on a roll around kitchen cabinet I made.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It's funny how different cherry darkens differently. I have some cherry lumber and cherry plywood I bought in March and some pieces have been sitting in my south office window since then with some painters tape in a few spots. They have barely changed at all in four months.
    Last edited by Dennis Jarchow; 07-20-2022 at 3:26 PM.

Dennis maybe that window has low e glass which blocks uv?

That is interesting that the uv light wouldn't work. What is it about direct sunlight that make cherry darker? I always had thought is was a result of uv exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    That is interesting that the uv light wouldn't work. What is it about direct sunlight that make cherry darker? I always had thought is was a result of uv exposure.
    I don't pretend to know the 'chemistry' involved, nor why a UV light would not work, but I too have placed projects in the sun to good effect. Never tried a light.

But also consider that I have cherry in my wood storage that has NEVER seen the light of day in a minimum of 40yrs. (when you include the time in my father's storage). It is now the color of b.walnut through and through - and I am positive it is cherry. I am guessing that oxygen is involved, but put emphasis on guessing.

The intensity from a UV lamp may not be very high for safety reasons. If it doesn't require you to wear protective eye gear, it's likely pretty weak. I just use the sun by putting the piece outside on a nice day.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think baking soda solution darkens cherry quite a bit.

there is a whole range of wavelength that falls within the UV spectrum.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    I think baking soda solution darkens cherry quite a bit.
    There absolutely are chemical ways to darken the wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info I will use the sun instead of a light.

Mitch, I did my table table over a 4 day period, rotating the table 90º each day. Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've had a couple cherry boards in the basement. No natural light but did have fluorescents for 20+ years before switching to LEDs recently. The cherry boards are darker than when I got them. Whether UV or air exposure I don't know.