Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other uses for stuff and functional fixation

Other uses for stuff and functional fixation

Functional fixedness is the inability to realize that something known to have a particular use may also be used to perform other functions. When one is faced with a new problem, functional fixedness blocks one's ability to use old tools in novel ways

I strip copper wire and bend it to form circles about 1" in diameter to make ties to train tomatoes I also use the stripped wire to make ties to train other plants

A section of old bandsaw blade to make garden bandit

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...der?item=PA330

I believe there could be other variations on this tool example with a long handle

I am also exploring using sections of old bandsaw blade to form the base of a log crosscut sled similar to a Carter Bandsaw AccuRight Miter Mill

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-Bandsa.../dp/B075K3CBXL

Some folks are great at visualization and reimagining and some are not. Some folks can see the long view and others can't see what's right in front of their face. Human nature. I try to be a member of the first group and often use/reuse/repurpose. Of course, that also means I'm somewhat a pack rat as a result.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    For many years, I have used a food dehydrator to liquefy crystalized honey. I've seen bread slicers made from old band saw blades. Lots of folks make art work from discarded items of all sorts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made a prybar from a screwdriver once.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I've looked for a way to dry stabilized wood blanks longer than would fix in a standard toaster.
    I finally figured out I could use an electric smoker as a large toaster oven. At about $160, I can now dry up to 24" long pieces.
    Who knew!

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I’ve used a table fork to comb dried food from my beard ��

Probably worked fine Larry but I'll lay odds you didn't do it within sight of the wife.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    I believe there could be other variations on this tool example with a long handle
    As seen on TV, The Hula Hoe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    For many years, I have used a food dehydrator to liquefy crystalized honey.
    It's also the go-to tool for drying 3D-printer filament.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    A section of old bandsaw blade to make garden bandit

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...der?item=PA330
    I always have a deja vu moment when I see that in the LV catalog...very similar tool for deshedding large dogs:
    https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Pet-Du.../dp/B0002ARR22
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Probably worked fine Larry but I'll lay odds you didn't do it within sight of the wife.
    of course not...I close my eyes when I do stuff like that

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    I’ve used a table fork to comb dried food from my beard ��
    Oh gosh, I hear Jeff Foxworthy in my ear!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Oh gosh, I hear Jeff Foxworthy in my ear!

OMG this is funny!

I save everything thinking it still can be repurposed. Wish I had some examples that I could think of now. But at least I know now why I save old bandsaw blades.

There will be deadly sharp 3/4" garden bandits at the end of 12, 24 and 48 inch pieces of ash very soon. The nut grass is about to meet it's match.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I made a prybar from a screwdriver once.
    Pffft... I have made a hammer out of a screw driver several times.

You'll all laugh at me. But sometimes I like to walk around Home Depot just looking to see what hardware, ventilation, plumbing, flooring supplies, etc are for sale - just asking myself "I wonder what else I could use this for?"

I need to "get a life". I know.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”