Thread: Laser engraving melamine coated MDF

Laser engraving melamine coated MDF

Does anyone have good method to remove the smoke residue adjacent to the laser engraved area on melamine coated MDF?

I've done tests with DNA, lacquer thinner and acetone. All of them eventually remove the residue, but would like to find something that will "breakdown" the smoke residue without a lot of physical effort and without damaging the MDF or melamine.

Thank You,
    Roger

I haven't worked with the coated MDF yet. Have you tried a melamine/magic eraser? Or Krud Kutter?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Transfer tape may be your friend here. What I use is TransferRite Ultra 582U medium tack. While I don't use it for engraving much, I DO use it when cutting engraving plastics, 1/8 in particular. It keeps the cut edges from burning and/or mushrooming. Why I like this particular tape is because just dampening it with a wet rag or whatever immediately causes the adhesive to loosen up. With melamine, using the clean cut edge of some Rowmark plastic as a squeegee will peel any remaining tape off easily once it's dampened.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I would reduce the power and take multiple passes when engraving.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7