Thread: Another Cutting Board

Blog Entries

Another Cutting Board

Like the mechanic whose car is never quite fixed I have owed LOML a cutting board for about 3 years. This will be a Scott Lewis style board that I have made threads on before and so will touch on lightly here. I start with a maple edge-grain blank.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (4).jpg

I scribe a wave-shaped line and cut the blank in two at a width that will match the stacked inlay that will occupy that space. The thin curvy material shown is the spoil. I cut as close to the "line" as I can to minimize the amount left to be removed at the router table.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (13).jpg
    I have a rig that I built out of scrap to manage the shifting of parts under stress.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (18).jpg
    Here's the first inlay glue up.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (31).jpg
    I clean up the over hang with a No 5 and a scraper.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (35).jpg
    Here's the second section of inlay in the clamps.
    Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (44).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-19-2022 at 4:20 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Juice groove and arcs cut. I will profile and add the grips tomorrow.

Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (61).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Cool. I am confused about the cutting. Band saw and then clean up at router table?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Cool. I am confused about the cutting. Band saw and then clean up at router table?
    Correct. The template is used to route a 1/4" deep slot the same width as the inlay that will occupy that line. In my case 1/2" padauk, 3/8" cherry and 1/4" purple heart. I cut the 1/4" deep groove, rip the blank in two along that line leaving as little left over for the flush router bit as possible, flush trim at the router, glue up the lamination and the blank, clamp it up, and come back tomorrow. Route the next 1/4" deep groove for the next width of inlay, saw the blank in two again, and repeat till done. Here it is with oil on it.

Cuttingboard-Inlay-Deb (67).jpg

I'm sorry I don't post as much detail here as at other sites. The picture handling is restricting and I wonder at the effort versus value thing . If anyone has any specific questions I am glad to answer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-21-2022 at 7:25 PM. Reason: 302

– Samuel Butler