Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

18 Jul 2022

Greetings,
    2 words - HOT - HUMID
    That's here this time of year. The time when the air is hot and "thick". My shop space is over 110 degrees F and that's with the fans running. I can't cool it as I've burned up 4 a/c units trying to cool it in the past. The shop is close now until mid to late September.

That is all....working inside where it's cooler and dryer.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I feel for you Dennis. No way in the world I could live in Arkansas or any of those surrounding states. Just perfect up in my little neck of the woods.

No wood working for me in the summer. Save that time for the grand kids.

Recently just finished another flip house for my daughter and SIL. The second one in back to back years. I don't try to push my pace anymore. About 5 hours a day is all that I work.

Yea, a bit toasty right now, Dennis. My situation isn't nearly as bad as yours for sure, but still...I'm not anxious to be out in the unconditioned temporary shop on hot and humid days, too! That said, it might be interesting for you to do some small hand-tool only projects somewhere in the house and practice those "shavings".

Activities this past week included doing a little CNC work for a friend which also included building a simple box for him...he has a finger injury that precludes using sharp tools 'cause he can't feel them slicing him up at the moment. Normally, I just cut the personalization for him to fill with resin inlay, but not this time.

ECMJ6501.jpg

I also disassembled the SDD dust collection system I've been using in the temporary shop for about 9 months as I caught a good sale on a G700 from Harvey which will arrive on Thursday. (SDD and stuff is listed in the Classifieds here, BTW) The stars are aligned and I can use the G700 in the temporary shop without reinventing the wheel in the same corner that the SDD lived, so that's what I'm going to do until the new building is up later in the year. Lastly, I ordered a new sliding table saw for the new shop building...an SC3C this time...as the lead time puts arrival about a month after the building "should" be up and with a finished floor. It can stay in the crate until I'm ready to use it.

No woodworking is likely this week. See paragraph one. Other than taking delivery of the DC, of course, and the Big Orange Power Tool will help get that from the curb to the gara-shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We finally got a couple of long drenching rains this week; we really needed it.

I got the jambs and casing set on the hallway closet door and then sized the doors, test fit them and got them stained and put on one coat of varnish. Just need to lightly sand and recoat but I'm giving them extra drying time as they are in the garage and the rain kicked up the humidity. Also got the baseboard installed and most of the shoe. Boy, nothing makes you feel your age like a bunch of kneeling to standing reps while running baseboard We have settled on replacing the fixed shelves in the closet with big rollouts, so I ordered some heavy duty slides and will make up some big shallow drawer boxes.

The sous vide probe for our range arrived this week so I had to test it out. First up was a bone-in rib eye. 90 minutes and it was a perfect medium through and through. Sliced it and gave it a quick pan sear and it was fab over salad. Next up was a real test: 3 lbs of short ribs. Mary prepared an asian sauce/marinade with gochujang and soy and other "stuff" and we vac sealed that in the bag with the ribs. 48 hours (!) at 155 and we had the most tender and delicious short ribs I have ever had.

We played Frisbee golf a couple more times and I am still plugging away on the Sketchup course. That's about it from here.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Put casing on a window and 3 doors at the cottage, installed ceiling cove molding around one room and installed one small section of waincoting while waiting for the rest of the shipment. All of this was primed and painted one top coat before install. Primed and painted bifold louvered doors that were originally stained.

2 thoughts. Trim molding costs a lot. Priming and painting molding takes time.............Love BIN primer!

Paul, 'glad you had the rain...wish we would get some. And I'm glad that the sous vide probe for the range worked out. I still need to order one 'cause that's one of my favorite ways to cook things and the range will be a lot better for the longer time stuff than the wand in the plastic container.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, a bit toasty right now, Dennis. My situation isn't nearly as bad as yours for sure, but still...I'm not anxious to be out in the unconditioned temporary shop on hot and humid days, too! That said, it might be interesting for you to do some small hand-tool only projects somewhere in the house and practice those "shavings".

Activities this past week included doing a little CNC work for a friend which also included building a simple box for him...he has a finger injury that precludes using sharp tools 'cause he can't feel them slicing him up at the moment. Normally, I just cut the personalization for him to fill with resin inlay, but not this time.

ECMJ6501.jpg

I also disassembled the SDD dust collection system I've been using in the temporary shop for about 9 months as I caught a good sale on a G700 from Harvey which will arrive on Thursday. (SDD and stuff is listed in the Classifieds here, BTW) The stars are aligned and I can use the G700 in the temporary shop without reinventing the wheel in the same corner that the SDD lived, so that's what I'm going to do until the new building is up later in the year. Lastly, I ordered a new sliding table saw for the new shop building...an SC3C this time...as the lead time puts arrival about a month after the building "should" be up and with a finished floor. It can stay in the crate until I'm ready to use it.

No woodworking is likely this week. See paragraph one. Other than taking delivery of the DC, of course, and the Big Orange Power Tool will help get that from the curb to the gara-shop.
    Jim, I want to know all about the G700 once you have it dialed in. I am considering one as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, I want to know all about the G700 once you have it dialed in. I am considering one as well.
    Will do. I'll likely post a short review like thing in Workshops once I have some experience with it in the temporary shop and an update later once it's in the new shop building with a little more duct work. Relative to the latter, I'm very carefully working out the potential machine positioning so it both supports my preferred workflow as well as keeps the duct work to the minimum required...which is always a good policy regardless of machine. I will say that I did not make this decision lightly and it was not just around the "very attractive" cost compared to going with another of what I was used to. I watched innumerable review videos, with the necessary grains of salt considered, before finally settling on it. In particular, Bent's Woodworking has both an initial and a followup that I found pretty solid...while he does get stuff from vendors, he's pretty transparent about things he doesn't like regardless and I appreciate that. I guess being a drill instructor in the military helps him with that.
    --

Cleaned up the shop. Completed Media console.

Started thinking about end tables.