Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet advice

It would be funny to watch because the antenna moves. Sooner or later of the cat falls asleep kitty will get dumped off. I think the new rectangle dishes only turn on the heat when needed where as the older round ones were on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I received the kit from Starlink. Surprisingly as a last ditch effort to avoid the underground wire I’ve discussed previously I took one more shot at the house roof and found a location right where the old direct tv dish was located. I removed the dish and put the Starlink long wall mount on that frame. I now have to trim out the cable once we decide where the SL modem will go. Installation and start-up on this could not have been easier and I offer that as the dimmest of the dim in the data world. It is like a new world. I show the speed test with the AT&T system and the new Starlink.
    It'll go up and down but on average that's around what I get. I'm watching TV through a Firestick right now and ran a speed test at the same time and got this just a few minutes ago.
    speed.JPG
    This is what I get with Verizon wireless 4G
    V speed.JPG

The slower upload might be frustrating for content creators out there in the hinterlands, but that's a very respectable download speed for content consumers which the majority of Internet users are.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The slower upload might be frustrating for content creators out there in the hinterlands, but that's a very respectable download speed for content consumers which the majority of Internet users are.
    Yikes, call me spoiled rotten. I had 100 Mbs download for years with Comcast cable and then upgraded to gigabit service. Now I usually see about 950 Mbs download in the shop (over the long underground cat6), considerably slower upload.

My son switched recently to at&t fiber and gets about 400 Mbs both download and upload, for less money than his old, much slower wired connection. I wonder if there will eventually be much more fiber across the country.

Anything over 100 Mbs is good when you don't have a hard line. Even DSL isn't much faster than Starlink. It's the lag of Starlink that is the big difference. Much better than Hughesnet but not fiber optic fast.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes, call me spoiled rotten. I had 100 Mbs download for years with Comcast cable and then upgraded to gigabit service. Now I usually see about 950 Mbs download in the shop (over the long underground cat6), considerably slower upload.

My son switched recently to at&t fiber and gets about 400 Mbs both download and upload, for less money than his old, much slower wired connection. I wonder if there will eventually be much more fiber across the country.
    950 is the physical limit of a gigabit Ethernet port. I have gigabit service from VZ on fiber...symmetrical so uploads are not constrained like they are on cable and sat based Internet services. But again, most folks don't do a ton of uploading, so not having it isn't noticeable.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Anything over 100 Mbs is good when you don't have a hard line. Even DSL isn't much faster than Starlink. It's the lag of Starlink that is the big difference. Much better than Hughesnet but not fiber optic fast.
    I used Hughes satellite when we moved here in '04. Slower than slow, but I had no choice, working from home, no DSL available, nothing, what is fiber? Comcast said I was too far from the road to get cable. The fact was their system was so bad the cable wouldn't have worked for TV or internet. They finally upgraded their hardware and sent out a crew to run cable underground in conduit maybe 400' or so to a pedestal about 100' from the house (I run coax in conduit from there). They used a huge cable that appears to have about 90 volts on it, I was told it was the same feed they used for subdivisions. Signal is strong. They didn't charge me anything.

I have friends in similar situations and Comcast has so far refused to run cable a few hundred feet from the road. They are using a cell hotspot for internet.

JKJ

[QUOTE=Alex Zeller;3207685 Even DSL isn't much faster than Starlink..[/QUOTE]

DSL technologies..even the best versions on very short distances...can't come close to these numbers for download.
    --

Our current DSL internet at the farm is slow. I just ran a speed test and got 2.21 mbps download and .76 up. I've signed up for fiber-optic at the new house which is supposed to be 50 each way, and am looking forward to that. Here it takes up to an hour to upload a minute of video, though sometimes less. I find it hard to imagine the speeds you are all talking about, and what the user experience would be like.

Oh, you're going to love that fiber connection Zachary! I've been on fiber for about ten years now. "Yuge"
    --

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I used Hughes satellite when we moved here in '04. Slower than slow, but I had no choice, working from home, no DSL available, nothing, what is fiber? Comcast said I was too far from the road to get cable. The fact was their system was so bad the cable wouldn't have worked for TV or internet. They finally upgraded their hardware and sent out a crew to run cable underground in conduit maybe 400' or so to a pedestal about 100' from the house (I run coax in conduit from there). They used a huge cable that appears to have about 90 volts on it, I was told it was the same feed they used for subdivisions. Signal is strong. They didn't charge me anything.

I have friends in similar situations and Comcast has so far refused to run cable a few hundred feet from the road. They are using a cell hotspot for internet.

JKJ
    For the first 5 years of living here Hughesnet was the only option. The only cell service was a smaller company that got bought out by AT&T (in a bigger deal) but their service was using the same tech that Verizon used so AT&T sold their towers to Verizon. Not long after a company using Verizon's 4G service offered internet with reasonable limits before switching to throttling. But after a couple years Verizon cut them off. By then I had ditched Hughesnet. I have a feeling if Verizon offers true 5G service around me it could be faster than Starlink but it will need to be true unlimited.

The DSL and cable internet around here is very bad. People are always complaining. There is fiber optic cable on the poles around here but best I can tell it's not being used.

Alex, the fiber is most likely very much in use...for backhaul between cellular base stations, "phone company" wiring centers/central office, cable provider nodes and other things. Fiber based Internet would likely install an additional instance of fiber plant because believe it or not, they have the cable custom manufactured with taps exactly located along the run so that connections to consumers can be dropped to properties from those taps with pre-terminated fiber cables. They literally map the route as they engineer the install.

Hopefully, your area will benefit from the available increased funding from recent legislation...not having quality high speed Internet access is a major disadvantage to folks living in an area for work and education for sure, not to mention the fun stuff.
    --

Perhaps the FCC's position on municipal broadband systems will change. The former chairman Ajit Pai was not helpful - to say the least - when communities wanted to establish their own systems. Pai could be fairly characterized as being in the pocket of 'big telecom', he was a former Associate General Counsel for Verizon among other positions in the telecom industry. Under his leadership the FCC opposed community broadband efforts. Big companies e.g. Comcast Verizon et al were opposed to community systems (no surprise there) but they would only wire the dense (profitable) areas and anyone not living in one of those dense areas was out of luck. It seems to me that the Rural Electric Cooperative Association might provide a model for community broadband.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-08-2022 at 9:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Alex, the fiber is most likely very much in use...for backhaul between cellular base stations, "phone company" wiring centers/central office, cable provider nodes and other things. Fiber based Internet would likely install an additional instance of fiber plant because believe it or not, they have the cable custom manufactured with taps exactly located along the run so that connections to consumers can be dropped to properties from those taps with pre-terminated fiber cables. They literally map the route as they engineer the install.

Hopefully, your area will benefit from the available increased funding from recent legislation...not having quality high speed Internet access is a major disadvantage to folks living in an area for work and education for sure, not to mention the fun stuff.
    It could be used but it's heading up a state highway in a very rural part that has no cell phone coverage for 15 to 20 miles. There's no cable TV or internet service out that way other than a school.

A lot of fiber on the right of ways isn't owned by the local "phone" company or cable company or wireless company but is still used for backhaul, "long distance" and Internet backbone services. Unless it's a tapped line as I described, it's really not usable for residential Internet service.
    --