Thread: Plastic Resin Patio Furniture UV protectant?

Plastic Resin Patio Furniture UV protectant?

Does anyone have a recommendation for an HVLP sprayable product I can apply to plastic resin chairs? They're brightly colored. I will cover them, but would also like to treat them.

John T? Jim? I'm looking at you...

Prashun, I honestly don't know of any coating for this kind of need. This type of furniture tends to have a "lifetime"; less about color and more about getting brittle. I am in process of having to replace a couple of chairs that are self-destructing "as we speak" because of this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like a potential job for automotive ceramic coating, it’s used to protect and restore plastic trim on cars, might work for your application. Only downsides, are the price of the coatings and the chairs will be pretty slippery
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 07-18-2022 at 2:18 PM.

I've just resorted to using rust-oleum or similar plastic restorer, once things start fading. It's that chemical smelling product that seems to work by wetting/re-plasticizing faded/oxidized surfaces, making them look like new again (other than scrapes/dents).

IME, spraying a film-forming coating for use outdoors fails to last more than a season or two without needing at least some type of retouching/recoating. However, since we're talking plastic here, vs. porous wood subject to seasonal temp/moisture movement, maybe the ceramic coating is just the ticket.

Curious

jeff

To use stuff that would work likely will cost more than replacing the chairs.

For fast and dirty I'd use Krylon or Rustoleum rattle can paint made for plastics. For hopefully higher durability I think Robert's on the right track with automotive paint designed for plastic, like used on bumpers, etc. No specific recommendation, though, because I've never had need for one - yet. I'm interested to know what you decide on and how it turns out.

John

These aren't that cheap; so I'd like to protect them. They're heavy and bulky enough that I can't store them in the garage. I think I just need to invest in covers.

Prashun and John, the automotive ceramic coating is a very high technology ‘wax’, that lasts for years. So we are essentially applying a ceramic coating to the existing finish on the chairs to protect the existing finish, products like GTechniq or Gyeon.

Robert, How are GTechniq or Gyeon applied?

They are typically applied with a sponge, here is a how to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnabmZvU5aY

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    These aren't that cheap; so I'd like to protect them. They're heavy and bulky enough that I can't store them in the garage. I think I just need to invest in covers.
    Nothing beats covers for protection. Maintenance on my Epifanes finished bench went from yearly/every two years to never.

John