Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood species yet again

Wood species yet again

Just cut this tree down along the river bank in central SC. Interesting all the red color. Curious what kind of wood as I might save some for future turning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

Looks like box elder to me

Blog Entries
    I agree with Sam. Green twigs are a boxelder trait. The leaves and red stuff in the wood look right for Boxelder too. The wood is soft, lightweight, and not strong. I gave some to my nephew who carves lures.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-17-2022 at 6:26 PM. Reason: good carving wood
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    Looks like box elder to me
    Ditto...............
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Box elder is in the Acer species. Acer negundo

Aj

Flame box elder can make for some interesting turnings. What's the diameter of that log?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Id need to measure but probably 8” in diameter
    Bob C

Box elder is really priced by turners for both bowls and hollow forms because it holds a lot of interest visually. Based on that picture of the stump, I'd want to use that for hollow forms for sure as the beetles really distributed the color well.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Box elder is really priced by turners for both bowls and hollow forms because it holds a lot of interest visually. Based on that picture of the stump, I'd want to use that for hollow forms for sure as the beetles really distributed the color well.
    In my experience two things make box elder one of my least favorite woods for turning: it’s density is much like silver maple (I prefer harder, denser woods), and the red color, while it can be stunning, always fades with time. It looks great at first but in a few years it’s almost a light brown. I know some who preserve the red with permanent dye in solution, applied by paintbrush. Some recommend keeping the turning out of the light but one i’ve kept in a relatively dimly lit room still faded significantly in about 5 years.

Those things are true, John, but it's still a favorite because of the wow factor, even if it may be fleeting without careful storage.
    --

That is highly prized wood there.

I got a ton of flame box elder a few years ago and it is some of the best wood I've turned. It's dramatic (you have awesome coloring there) and there is nothing like it in nature.

It fades a bit, but I have bowls that are 10 years old and the pattern is still visible.

Beware of how it smells when turning, though. Mine stunk like a horse barn. So worth it.

Blog Entries
    The red stuff in boxelder can be interesting. I assume the the red is a mineral stain?

I guess not. This is from wood magazine.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.05.36 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-19-2022 at 9:12 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The red stuff in boxelder can be interesting. I assume the the red is a mineral stain?

I guess not. This is from wood magazine.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.05.36 AM.png
    Adding to the Wood Magazine excerpt, the stain is fungal, but introduced by the box elder beetle. I personally do find it interesting for decorative items, although there are a pair of "yuge" slabs of box elder at the local domestic hardwood supplier than have some impressive figure. But as John mentioned, I'd be concerned about fading over time after paying tenty-eleven gazillion dollars for a big slab of the stuff.
    --

Just a bit more about the fungus, the beetle and the stain. The fungus can be introduced into the tree through almost any injury. THe particular starburst pattern in the OP is from beetle damage, but you'll find lot's of red stain emanating down through branch roots where branches have been broken off, or generally where there has been any injury that penetrated the sapwood.

Took down a big old box elder that had lots of flame figure. Also had lots of burls and curl as well. It’s been drying for years now but many pieces still have flame present in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images