Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile base for Minimax FS41 Elite?

mobile base for Minimax FS41 Elite?

Looking to buy or build a mobile base for my FS41 Elite, which weights 1200 lbs.
    Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Len

I used to have my FS41 on a mobile base (this one, or something very similar). No matter what I did there was always some vibration, so I took it off. The Minimax mobility kit is what I would use now if I needed to move it.

If you must move it regularly, can you put some kind of a pallet under it and move it with a pallet jack?

Agree with Brian, best solution is to permanently block it up for moving with a pallet jack.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I don't have room in my shop to move this machine with a pallet jack. I need a highly maneuverable base that can make tight turns. Portamate has some heavy duty bases but it seems there are issues with the quality of the casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    I don't have room in my shop to move this machine with a pallet jack. I need a highly maneuverable base that can make tight turns. Portamate has some heavy duty bases but it seems there are issues with the quality of the casters.
    For "flat on the floor" the OEM solution is best, but it's not super maneuverable. At least my FS350 isn't. Aside from vibration if the four corners are not on the floor, if there are any variations in height in the places you park it to use, don't forget that cast iron/steel can bend which affects alignment. I know that for a fact with my lathe and have had some minor issues with my FS350 in my temporary shop with "tightness" in the height adjustment for thicknessing if I position it even a half inch different than "the spot" after moving to to access the fold down attic stairs. My machine weighs 300+ pounds less than yours.

If something like the PortaMate physically feels like it will do the job, you do have the option to replace the casters. Vendors like CasterCity have lots of options for high quality double locking casters. (and you do want/need double locking casters) You could also have a local welder fabricate something up for you that's "to size".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got a few Grizzly Bear Crawls and they do well. The pad stabilizers are a bit too squishy for bandsaws or drill presses, but work well on the jointer and planer.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

if you don't mind the extra height, you could use some Zambus ac series levelling casters.

How would the Zambus casters be attached to the base?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    How would the Zambus casters be attached to the base?
    I'm not sure there is a solid bottom under the corners of the cabinet. I don't think my FS350 has them. That might require raising the machine a substantial height and welding on heavy mounting plates that are drilled and tapped for the Zambus type casters. Or heavy angles welded to the outside of the cabinet corners and treated the same way.
    --

Len, I’m certain SCM offers an OEM mobility solution for your machine. Have you tried partspronto-dot-com?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not sure there is a solid bottom under the corners of the cabinet. I don't think my FS350 has them. That might require raising the machine a substantial height and welding on heavy mounting plates that are drilled and tapped for the Zambus type casters. Or heavy angles welded to the outside of the cabinet corners and treated the same way.
    Thanks Jim. The bottom of the cabinet is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Len, I’m certain SCM offers an OEM mobility solution for your machine. Have you tried partspronto-dot-com?

Erik
    Thanks Erik. Could not find anything on that site.

Use a 4 by 4 bolted to the base under each end of the machine instead of a pallet. A mini pallet jack will slide under the base and is very easy to maneuver. I resisted purchasing a pallet jack for decades, it was a mistake. Today I use my pallet jack to move even the machines that are on castors. My 2cents.

What is this tool? A bandsaw or drillpress is tippy a tablesaw less so.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What is this tool? A bandsaw or drillpress is tippy a tablesaw less so.
    Bill D
    It's a 410mm/16" jointer/thicknesser combo machine...

--