Thread: Table Base Assembly

1. Table Base Assembly

Curious on how people assemble the bases of a tables, desks, etc... Assemble in stages. I assemble the ends of the piece first, so for example I attach the front legs to the back legs using the side skirt and bottom rail. The next day, I bring the ends together by attaching the left and right assemblies using the front / back skirts and rails. Thoughts on your preferences?

Depends on how much of a hurry you're in I suppose. I like doing it in stages if possible.

For many tables that use aprons and legs like you describe, I will typically use the same order you mention...narrow assemblies first and then add the front and back aprons, generally with the whole thing upside down on the assembly surface. The overall design can sometimes affect this decision however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Always dry assemble your parts first, when facing a complex glue up. This will tell you if all your pieces fit properly, where you need clamps and how many pieces you can put together with or without sub-assembly. It wil also show you whether you need an extra set of hands to get it done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I'm another narrow ends first and then join them with the longer parts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler