Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone make a good 21” lawnmower blade anymore?

I have a Lot of grass to cut, so need efficient equipment, which includes the right kind of sharp blades, and being easy to swap them. Lift coming so I don't have to use the loader to lift the lawn mower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stens has very good blades. They make a high lift blade but also have a bagging blade. The high lift blade is designed more for mulching.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks all, there’s a lot of good info here. I’ve learned that there are 3 general blade types: regular/standard, mulching, and high lift. I have the regular/standard and know that it doesn’t do well with my mower. I’ve also learned that the mulching blades perform great in wetter, more humid climates but are not as effective for use in the desert southwest (Albuquerque).
    That leaves the high lift blade. The hunt is on.

Tom, that Snapper looks like the perfect solution but overkill for my small patch of grass.
    The reason I like the Oregon Gator blade is they are a nice combination of mulch and high lift. I don't bag and appreciate the smaller particles created as well as the even cut height, even in challenging situations
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

the old Toro 'whirlwind tunnel' side discharge mowers, their decks were shaped just like turbochargers, someone was thinking...

torobo.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have a Lot of grass to cut, so need efficient equipment, which includes the right kind of sharp blades, and being easy to swap them. Lift coming so I don't have to use the loader to lift the lawn mower.
    My Grasshopper mower has a power lift folding deck. I just hit a switch and it folds upward to work on the bottom of the deck. It basically uses a linear actuator to lift the deck. I had to work under the deck yesterday so it was nice to just hit that switch and have it fold up.

I need to figure out what size blades my mower takes. Grasshopper is not listed on the Oregon site. I can't imagine Oregon doesn't make a blade that will work. The blades don't look to be unique.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-18-2022 at 3:18 PM.

The deck on the Snapper HiVac is very similar to that Toro, but the outlet is more up, than back. The bag is very easy to get on and off, and empty. I expect the blade on that Toro was geared up like the Snapper. I expect the two are very similar.

I looked at Grasshoppers, but I have 1/4 mile of shoreline to cut that's fairly steep sidehill cutting for part of it, so needed a mower specifically good for sidehill cutting. When I get the hoist in the shop, it won't be so bad. At least I don't even have to bend over to swap blades.

The little Snapper, I just pull the whole thing up in the air with the loader, so no bending over, to swap blades on that either. Fortunately, we don't have a whole lot of grass to cut with the little mower. It only takes about 10 minutes to do each dog yard.

I worked at a place in the early 1990s that got a small lift designed specifically for lifting commercial riding mowers. The biggest mowers they had were the Toro Groundsmaster 300 series with 72" deck. I saw a lift like that on a website once, but I have not been able to find it again. It was a real lift that lifted all four wheels. It was not one of those little lifts that just lifts the front wheels of a riding mower.

I just pick up the front end, and set the mower on the big flat rear end. I put a 5500 pound marine stainless lifting eye on the front. I don't want to get under it. I want to stand in front of it. See picture in post #16 with it sitting up on its back end.

I'm just waiting to get an I-beam delivered for a chain hoist trolley. I can use the hoist in the mechanic shop for other things too. It's not too bad using the tractor with loader, but it's just something else to have to do.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-18-2022 at 5:20 PM.

I just ordered the Oregon Gator G5 blade. It should be a big improvement over the generic Big Box blade.
    Thanks again!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Will probably not only work better, but last longer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Will probably not only work better, but last longer too.
    Yea, impressively beefy blades!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was sharpening lawnmower blades this morning, and remembered this thread. I found manufacturer and model numbers stamped on the bottom of the blades I had mentioned in this thread that I liked so much. They hadn't been sharpened for a few clicks over 19 hours, which means they have mowed well over 50 acres of grass. They could have easily gone more, but the grass had gotten so thick from a week of torrential rains that I decided I'd like it better if they were sharp. They were pretty hard to sharpen, even not needing it badly, so they may have some carbides in them.

They have lasted a lot better than the Oregon blades.

I was surprised to see that they were made by, or probably for, MTD, and sold by Cub Cadet. I thought the dealer was probably getting a premium for them at 45 dollars per blade, but the only place I found online that sells them had the same price. They're worth it for this 72" mower if I can go that long between sharpenings, and they will obviously last double what the Oregon blades did. The letter at the end of the part number is an X. I guess that's for Extreme.

I took a picture of the stamp on the bottom. I don't know how many sizes these are sold in, but they're Cub Cadet Extreme blades. I've had other MTD blades on smaller mowers, and they were nothing like these, even less than impressive, so don't just buy the brand name.

I mounted the Oregon Gator G5 blade Sunday and tried it out. It is much beefier than the Borg blade and filled the bag much better. The jury is out on how well the mulching will work here in the SW but I’m eager to find out.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just ordered a 28 inch mulching Gator blade to replace the one on the old Snapper rear engine rider I keep nursing along year to year. Been happy with them.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson