Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grit Automation Automatic Blast Gates - Automating my Dust Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I have just built a RT using a CNC spindle and it is controlled by a touch screen via a program specifically written to control spindle height, speed and fence position
    As an aside, this was something I had a conversation with Brian Holcomb about awhile back as he was contemplating something like that for his shop Intriguing idea.

As to the CNC and similar, the reason I mentioned being able to trigger manually for them is because it might be nice to be able to have a gate "up there" in a place that's less convenient to work by hand when feeding this kind of tool. But it would have to able to not interfere with any of the automated gates. I'm guessing there may not be the logic available in the controller in "stock" form to have that level of understanding. Note: I have not explored the manufacturer's website and am just flapping my digital gums here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As an aside, this was something I had a conversation with Brian Holcomb about awhile back as he was contemplating something like that for his shop Intriguing idea.

As to the CNC and similar, the reason I mentioned being able to trigger manually for them is because it might be nice to be able to have a gate "up there" in a place that's less convenient to work by hand when feeding this kind of tool. But it would have to able to not interfere with any of the automated gates. I'm guessing there may not be the logic available in the controller in "stock" form to have that level of understanding. Note: I have not explored the manufacturer's website and am just flapping my digital gums here.
    An overhead rocking blast gate with hanging cords will do what you are looking for. The cords can be run from a rocking gate to a convenient location using pulleys, I did that before having an automatic system.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Interesting and impressive system. Do you know if it’s possible to leave the dust collector out of the system and just use it for the automatic blast gates? I actually prefer to manually (with a remote) turn the collector on and off especially when I know I’m going to be moving from one machine to another.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Interesting and impressive system. Do you know if it’s possible to leave the dust collector out of the system and just use it for the automatic blast gates? I actually prefer to manually (with a remote) turn the collector on and off especially when I know I’m going to be moving from one machine to another.
    Yes, that can be done easily. The triggers control the blast gates and also tell the dust collector to turn on. But they don't have to.

I had the system running that way first and installed the Magswitch collector to control the cyclone last.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    An overhead rocking blast gate with hanging cords will do what you are looking for. The cords can be run from a rocking gate to a convenient location using pulleys, I did that before having an automatic system.
    Yup. I may see if I can configure/modify the quick connect gates I use for something like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alan — One more question on the 3-phase machines. I have similar Felder 3-phase machines to yours and I’m curious if the controller opens the blast gate if it senses power to the machine (the machine is “on” but not running) or only when the “start” button is pressed? In other words, is it current sensing and can that be adjusted?

It is current sensing and is extremely adjustable. So having the digital readout on my machine on doesn’t open the blast gate. The gate only opens when the motor starts and it’s adjustable for the current limit you set for the trigger.

Very easy adjustment with the phone app.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have a thought that somewhat dovetails with what Chris Parks just wrote. (and I can clearly see his point)

That said, with traditional woodworking machines, there is clearly an on and off state that can be leveraged for the purpose at hand. This is not such a simple thing with something like CNC that more and more folks are bringing into the shop. You can't keep on power to the machine because you don't turn it on and off, as it were. I guess one could sense for spindle on/off, but...

I guess if one wanted to leverage one of these gate controls for a tool like CNC, it would be easiest to have some form of manual triggering, such as a dummy circuit with some form of switch.

Alan, will that system work properly if one has a need for more than one tool running at the same time, such as CNC manually triggered while one moves between other machines doing other things while the CNC "shop assistant" cuts stuff?

This is Joel from GRIT Automation. First a big thanks to Alan for his time writing this post!

As for CNC machines, we have no problem analyzing the specific current draw for tools like CNC or Lasers to control blast gates and dust/fume extractors. We can retrofit gates from 2.5" to 10". Work with all power types up to 480 3PH.

Another point to mention is the safety side of the GRIT system. You can lock and unlock all tools in your shop so little fingers and inexperienced users cannot operate the machinery. For makerspace type shops we have an add-on product that allows for personalized access control for all tools, its called GRIT Track. This is perfect for educational and institutional environments.

Please reach out to discuss how we can help bring automation and safety into your shop!

Joel

Floor sweep

This looks like a nifty system.

The case of a floor sweep would be something I wonder if the system will adapt to use. That could use a switch to turn on when the gate was opened, but I don't see something like that on their website.
    Last edited by Bruce Walton; 07-19-2022 at 3:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Walton View Post
    This looks like a nifty system.

The case of a floor sweep would be something I wonder if the system will adapt to use. That could use a switch to turn on when the gate was opened, but I don't see something like that on their website.

Great point and we have a battery operated switch that does just this! Its great for floor sweeps and lathe work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Danowitz View Post
    This is Joel from GRIT Automation. First a big thanks to Alan for his time writing this post!

As for CNC machines, we have no problem analyzing the specific current draw for tools like CNC or Lasers to control blast gates and dust/fume extractors. We can retrofit gates from 2.5" to 10". Work with all power types up to 480 3PH.

Another point to mention is the safety side of the GRIT system. You can lock and unlock all tools in your shop so little fingers and inexperienced users cannot operate the machinery. For makerspace type shops we have an add-on product that allows for personalized access control for all tools, its called GRIT Track. This is perfect for educational and institutional environments.

Please reach out to discuss how we can help bring automation and safety into your shop!

Joel
    Joel — Thanks for joining the Creek to chime in and answer questions. It looks like a really interesting and well though out system. I’ve tinkered with creating my own automatic gates with pneumatics but getting the current sensor to cooperate with the solenoid proved too unreliable. Another quick question for you … do the controllers need to be in the horizontal plane to operate properly, or can they also work with a vertically oriented blast gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Joel — Thanks for joining the Creek to chime in and answer questions. It looks like a really interesting and well though out system. I’ve tinkered with creating my own automatic gates with pneumatics but getting the current sensor to cooperate with the solenoid proved too unreliable. Another quick question for you … do the controllers need to be in the horizontal plane to operate properly, or can they also work with a vertically oriented blast gate?
    Hi Tom,

Thank you, during the past 2 years we have worked to bring a complete solution to the industry. As you mentioned automation that actually works is challenging.

As for our gate actuators, yes they work in any orientation.

Thanks
    Joel

A new addition to my Grit setup today. A nagging problem I had is that my Grizzly wide-belt sander needs pneumatic pressure to start. So typically I send it 80psi from my air compressor. But I really don't want my air compressor running 24/7, and it's hidden in a difficult to get at closet.

Well, the nice folks at Grit Automation (Joel) suggested a 120V collector trigger paired with a remote, wireless switch. The air compressor plugs into the collector trigger. That way, when I want to use the wide-belt, I first turn on the air compressor with the remote switch (which now lives on the wide-belt in the nice bracket/holder), and then turn on the wide-belt, which then turns on the Oneida cyclone. No need to climb down into the closet, and no need to run it 24/7.

Works like a charm. Problem solved. Thanks guys. Great work again.

The word on the street was that they were a big hit at IWF a couple of weeks ago. I really wish them luck.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Just added another addition to the system that's solved yet another problem. As those who know me know from my posts, I'm pretty interested in keeping my workshop air as clean as possible to breath. I've just seen too many people with bad lung disease in my medical practice.

At this point, the biggest offender in my workshop for throwing off wood chips and dust is my Kapex SCMS. Long story short, my initial shop design had a measurement error, and I wasn't able to put the ducts running from my cyclone to a Kapex enclosure I was planning to build. So now, even though my Kapex is attached to a Festool vac, it still throws tons of wood dust into the shop air. I have found that I need to turn on my Jet air cleaners whenever I use the miter saw, but that involves two remote controls on the other side of the shop.

Here's where the Grit Automation system comes in. Much to my surprise, the current sensing abilities of a Grit 120V trigger enables my Festool vac to plug into the Grit trigger with me still leaving the vac set to the auto setting. Whenever I use the Kapex, the system now turns on both air cleaners for a programmed period of time. And wow, my air is measurably cleaner much faster this way.

In a future post I'll get into the capabilities of the Grit Automation air quality control devices (which automatically turn on and off your air cleaners depending on air particle measurement of certain sizes) as this is being improved day by day by the awesome engineers at Grit Automation.

I'll gush later as to how much the system has improved the air quality in my workshop (hint, very impressive), but the system just keeps getting better as does the working conditions in my shop.

I had low dust levels for years but what I found when using the automatic blast gate system we developed was how it made working in the workshop so much easier, almost liberating if I can use that term. Being able to change from machine to machine and not have to worry about blast gate operation is something that really can't be appreciated unless you experience it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening