Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Words of Caution and the price for not heeding them

clarification

I have been asked for clarification, so I will try. "Anchored" is my way of saying I was holding the board down with my left hand ahead of the dado. My right hand was holding the back of the board at a steep angle and I started to slowly lower the board with my right hand.the idea being to achieve the full depth of cut and the push the board forward until the indication on my fence matches my indication on my board.

Honestly, there was that little voice in my head saying something was wrong, but I did not heed it. I had done this so many times I could not identify a problem, so I went ahead with the cut. Also my mind was on a treasured Chocolate Lab I had to put down just yesterday. If I had paused and listen to that little voice I would have realized that I always had "anchored" with my right hand behind the dado and slowly brought down the front with my left hand. Keeping both hands in a relatively safe position, or at least safer.

I hope that helps.
    He who works with his hands is a labourer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    Francis of Assisi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwin Heil View Post
    I have been asked for clarification, so I will try. "Anchored" is my way of saying I was holding the board down with my left hand ahead of the dado. My right hand was holding the back of the board at a steep angle and I started to slowly lower the board with my right hand.the idea being to achieve the full depth of cut and the push the board forward until the indication on my fence matches my indication on my board.

Honestly, there was that little voice in my head saying something was wrong, but I did not heed it. I had done this so many times I could not identify a problem, so I went ahead with the cut. Also my mind was on a treasured Chocolate Lab I had to put down just yesterday. If I had paused and listen to that little voice I would have realized that I always had "anchored" with my right hand behind the dado and slowly brought down the front with my left hand. Keeping both hands in a relatively safe position, or at least safer.

I hope that helps.
    That was exactly what happened to me when I hurt my hand. I also ignored the little voice in my head. I had just made three successful cuts just before it all went wrong on #4. Always raise the blade into the piece being cut. Make sure you have the piece secured and back stopped. Use push pads and feather boards and never get your hand(s) behind the blade while it is turning.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Clearly the procedure that produced this injury is unsafe, no matter how many times it had previously been used. Personally, I favor using a router table for this type of work. But, if a table saw is the only option, then raising the blade into the workpiece is the safe choice.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I have not been injured by a router (knock on wood). My Brother stuck his finger into Dads face frame mortis and tenon router arrangement the same summer that he shot a 1/4 inch crown 1 1/4 inch long Senco staple through his finger. Trips to the Hospital both times. These tools are so very dangerous.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-26-2022 at 9:21 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Clearly the procedure that produced this injury is unsafe, no matter how many times it had previously been used. Personally, I favor using a router table for this type of work. But, if a table saw is the only option, then raising the blade into the workpiece is the safe choice.
    There are several methods to achieve the result that may manage the risk of injury. Perhaps a list of ways to do this would be constructive? Here's my take:

1. Hand tools.
    2. machines that keep the hands out of the way of any cutter, such as horizontal slot cutter, router machines like the Multirouter or Pantarouter.
    3. router using a template jig and guide bushing or plunge router with edge guide
    4. stops fixed to fence on the router table and lowering/levering the work onto the cutter
    5. stops fixed to the table and rip fence and lowering/levering the work onto the dado on the table saw.

Any other methods of work?

Goodwin, thank you for bringing your injury to the group for others to learn from -- that is potentially very useful for others to learn from your misfortune and it isn't easy to see all of the Monday morning quarterbacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    There are several methods to achieve the result that may manage the risk of injury. Perhaps a list of ways to do this would be constructive? Here's my take:

1. Hand tools.
    2. machines that keep the hands out of the way of any cutter, such as horizontal slot cutter, router machines like the Multirouter or Pantarouter.
    3. router using a template jig and guide bushing or plunge router with edge guide
    4. stops fixed to fence on the router table and lowering/levering the work onto the cutter
    5. stops fixed to the table and rip fence and lowering/levering the work onto the dado on the table saw.

Any other methods of work?

Goodwin, thank you for bringing your injury to the group for others to learn from -- that is potentially very useful for others to learn from your misfortune and it isn't easy to see all of the Monday morning quarterbacking.
    I would omit item #5. Or reword it to sy raise the dado up into the workpiece.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thank you for the clarification.
    I won't go into all what if's, but it sounds as if a simple set of stop blocks clamped securely could have made the difference, no way to tell.

I really hope some people will take away some insight into what goes into making a cut safely.
    How to determine if a cut is or isn't safe and how or if they should proceed.

Heal quickly, work safely