Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11?

Windows 11?

The computer I bought in the winter of last year has the capabilities of upgrading Windows 10 to windows 11. At the time Windows 11 was just introduced and having issues from what I heard. The tech I bought the computer from in the store told me to wait to install it to see what happens. I now see Windows 12 is going to be launched soon. So my question is updating to Windows 11 a good idea? Is there much difference between 10 and 11? I just about got things figured out with 10 and there still is alot I have not even played with yet. What say you??
    John T.

It takes me about 2 hours to configure any new Windows OS to the Windows XP interface I like. After configuring everything to my preferences I can't tell the difference between Windows 11 on one workstation and Windows 10 on another workstation even though I work on both at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Windows 11 was an option on my new laptop and I have been using it for some time with very few problems. The interface is a bit different and it does take some getting used to. One BIG disappointment was the fact that my favorite photo editing program (app) does not even remotely work in windows 11. It was a really easy to use app and had all the things I ever wanted to do with photos. It also has some annoying settings, such as clicking on an email address automatically brings up the windows email client instead of the one I prefer to use. I haven't figured out how to change that yet. If anyone has, please let me know.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-16-2022 at 1:17 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had the same problem in Windows 10 until I set the default in Settings/Apps/Default Apps. I don't have 11 so can't confirm it has the same capability.

While I do not use Windows as my primary operating system, I do run an instance of Windows 11 in a virtual machine. I've had zero issues with it. If the hardware on my CNC control machine was compatible with Windows 11, I'd not be uncomfortable installing Windows 11 at this point.

Lee does bring up a good point that one must be sure that some legacy applications may or may not run on Win11. That's always been something that has to be considered with OS upgrades. (and often with hardware upgrades, too) Nature of the beast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gresham View Post
    I had the same problem in Windows 10 until I set the default in Settings/Apps/Default Apps. I don't have 11 so can't confirm it has the same capability.
    It is the same in Windows 11, I just found a way to change it as shown on this link.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I see they are having problems with Windows 12 and the Bar exam. My wife had the option to upgrade her new laptop with windows 19 on it and she did. Big mistake screwed up everything. Had a hard time getting it back to windows 10.

The question is always what can you not do on the current system that upgrading to a new system will enable, and is it worth the time and effort involved? For me, in the current phase of computer evolution, that means skipping most updates. It's been a decade or more since an OS upgrade has added a new feature that I wanted or cared about, it's all about getting adequate security features now. On my Mac I just let it auto-update, it's been a very long time since anything has broken during that process, or since any really obvious change has been introduced, the change from 32 to 64 bit operation being the last I recall.

They're talking about Windows 12 and Windows 11 was released in October 2021 so less than a year? Sounds a little bit like Windows Vista, which had a pretty short life as well. Personally I only use Windows for a monthly specific purpose which takes about 10-15 minutes. As long as the required app works with Windows 10 (which will receive security updates until at least October 2025) I don't plan on switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    They're talking about Windows 12 and Windows 11 was released in October 2021 so less than a year? Sounds a little bit like Windows Vista, which had a pretty short life as well. Personally I only use Windows for a monthly specific purpose which takes about 10-15 minutes. As long as the required app works with Windows 10 (which will receive security updates until at least October 2025) I don't plan on switching.
    I hadn't even heard of Win12, so I googled it: the top hits are all of the form, "Microsoft may release Windows 12 as early as 2024" (emphasis mine). Yeah, that's (maybe) a shorter cycle than usual, but not absurdly so given the previous Win10 protocol of 6-12 month "feature updates".

(My suspicion is that their marketing people don't think customers will feel they're getting a "fresh" OS unless the name changes.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I'm using Windows 11 on two computers with zero problems.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a few compatibility issues (the most annoying a Dymo Label printer), but mostly just not thrilled with the interface compared with Windows 10. On the other hand, since I usually keep machines for 7-8 years, I thought future-proofing with Windows 11 to be wise.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    More like Windows Messy Edition (Windows ME)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm using Windows 11 on two computers with zero problems.

Mike
    Really messed up my wife's new laptop so much so that even the tech at Micro Center couldn't restore to Windows 10 I have it on my laptop and don't like it and can;t go back as you only have 10 days

I appreciate the warnings
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle