Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tour de France

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    In most any competitive event it would be. The gendarmes on the world tours use FLIR cameras to monitor the bikes on the road.

For the blood doping, they combat that now with blood testing that looks at red blood cell oxygenation. The pros get tested constantly.
    They did a documentary on these motors and they could not detect them without taking the bike apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    They did a documentary on these motors and they could not detect them without taking the bike apart.
    That seems unlikely. They have found motors in bikes (Femke Van Den Driessche) without disassembling the bike. It shouldn't be that difficult to detect a motor/battery shielded by some carbon fibers.

I, too, was burned by the Great American Cheat armstrong and I have not watched a lot of the Tour since. I picked it up at about stage 12 this year watching the Alps stages and the past couple days in the Pyrenees. McNulty and Koos, two young American riders have done very well. Vingegaard in the Yellow Jersey and , Pagacar, in white, the winner of the last two Tours have been the race. Pogacar sitting 2:25 behind the yellow had to make a move to make up that time while in the mtns. They broke from the Peloton on the second to last climb and were away. On a very fast and tricky descent on fresh pavement they were each other’s wheel. Pogacar was leading and spun out going down on the shoulder. He was back up quickly. Vingegaard not wanting to take advantage of the fall waited for him to recover. As Pogacar caught up they shook hands and continued the race with Vingegaard winning by over a minute, extending his lead and barring some catastrophe pretty much guaranteeing the win on Sunday in Paris. It was worth watching this years Tour to see that one moment of sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    On a very fast and tricky descent on fresh pavement they were each other’s wheel. Pogacar was leading and spun out going down on the shoulder. He was back up quickly. Vingegaard not wanting to take advantage of the fall waited for him to recover. As Pogacar caught up they shook hands and continued the race with Vingegaard winning by over a minute,...... It was worth watching this years Tour to see that one moment of sportsmanship.
    Wow. I haven't seen that kind of behavior in a long time. That's refreshing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis were a big let down. I watch old Eddy Merckx and newer Peter Sagan youTubes sometimes.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-22-2022 at 9:14 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

... On a very fast and tricky descent on fresh pavement they were each other’s wheel. Pogacar was leading and spun out going down on the shoulder. He was back up quickly. Vingegaard not wanting to take advantage of the fall waited for him to recover. As Pogacar caught up they shook hands and continued the race with Vingegaard winning by over a minute, extending his lead and barring some catastrophe pretty much guaranteeing the win on Sunday in Paris. It was worth watching this years Tour to see that one moment of sportsmanship.
    That's actually normal Tour etiquette. It's occurred many times before. The handshake, however, was a very nice touch.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I began following the Tour since the mid-80’s when the great American rider Greg LeMond began winning the Tour. It is just a great event. It is hard as h*** to follow, but so pleasant to watch the beautiful scenery. Phil Liggett and Bob Roll, the announcers play very well together.
    Me too. Not sure why but the scenery, speed, danger, team strategy, and exceptional athletes. Notice the idiot spectators running beside the riders can't keep up going uphill. As far as the past cheating I assume those who don't watch because of it, don't watch football, baseball, basketball also.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That's actually normal Tour etiquette. It's occurred many times before. The handshake, however, was a very nice touch.
    I've seen riders wait when a contender is delayed because of something outside their control, e.g. mechanical, fan interference, crash in a group etc. I've never seen it when one rider makes a mistake on a downhill.

If Vingegaard had been behind at the time no on would have batted an eye if he pressed on without waiting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    According to the commentary during the race Vingegaard and Pogačar are good friends.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I get almost as excited as Arlo. Almost.6DCB659D-126C-4B1F-97F5-14137F5EE12F.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    I finally finished the extended highlights last night. What an excellent experience. I never watched a full TDF before. Those guys are beyond amazing on a bike. 19 days of extremely hard riding and they can still put down a 25 mile / 1400 ft gain TT lap w/ a 31.6 mph average on the 20th day!! That is crazy. Can't even imagine.

The beginning of the last stage was fun to watch. I enjoyed how much Pogacar was enjoying himself even though he couldn't catch the yellow. The race between them was a great show of two amazing athletes.
    I'll be watching extended highlights of the women's soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    According to the commentary during the race Vingegaard and Pogačar are good friends.
    I heard that comment too, BUT i also heard Tadej tell a commentator he did not have Jonas' mobile number . . . . which i think he would if they were good friends.

But agree wholeheartily, the sportsmanship was impressive, so much so that i was happy with Jonas Vingegaard winning the tour.

Count me as a previous watcher. Watched every state for about 10 years, just can’t afford the time these days. It’s a huge commitment to watch and follow it!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, each extended highlight was around an hour.