Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspects of life you enjoy more than you should

Aspects of life you enjoy more than you should

Here are 3 things I enjoy more than I think I should
    (1) Leaving the oven cleaner to do its job then simply wiping the oven clean
    (2) Seeing the effects of electrolysis on rusty tools
    (3)Finding another use for something my wife is going to put in the bin

Finding a clever way to repair anything that is probably not worth the time or money saved, yet I gloat on things like that sometimes.

Having a working collection of Penn Z series spinning reels. When in OBX surf fishing in the fall people always notice the old “Greenies” and say my Dad had one like that. I always say they are one of the few items that can be functional an entire lifetime if basic maintenance is applied.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 07-15-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sitting in the trees behind my house enjoying a beer and the sounds of nature.

Using a restored tool that was made before my grandfather was born.

Watching the deer in my yard tending to their frolicking offspring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

1- Horsepower
    2- Using it...
    3- Not getting caught using it

gears.gif
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I switched to EDTA soaking because it is safer. Will not damage paint or aluminum. No chance of embrittlement. will not go beyond rust. can be left soaking for months with no cost or damage. The solution is safe to drink not hazardous waste.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post

I switched to EDTA soaking because it is safer. Will not damage paint or aluminum. No chance of embrittlement. will not go beyond rust. can be left soaking for months with no cost or damage. The solution is safe to drink not hazardous waste.
    Bill D.
    What is EDTA soaking???
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sipping on a good Scotch ale.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

EDTA dissolved in tap water then soak the item. Submerged all the way if possible otherwise a high water mark will be left behind. EDTA will chelate roughly it's own weight in rust so one pound of EDTA will neutralize one pound of rust. You can use at any ratio up to and beyond a glacial solution. It does not go bad and can be left to evaporate and re add water when needed.
    Evaporust is mainly EDTA with some chemicals to maintain PH.
    Some health nuts eat EDTA as an anti oxidant.
    Bill D

I belive this is evaporust?
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040102344
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-15-2022 at 7:28 PM.

Bringing something back to life, be it a tool, or something else. Really enjoy fixing mowers that owners say aren't worth fixing. Usually it's the carburetor, which can be had from Ebay for less than $20. Currently restoring two rototillers, which were made in the early 1960's. One is a Merry, and the other is a Winston. Both use the same gear box and chain assembly. Apparently Winston bought parts from Merry, same as Snapper did. Need to get out hard facing rods, and touch up tines on my Troy-Bilt Horse model tiller. Fans tickle me, as most don't realize they need to be oiled. Fixed one Friday, by taking it apart, and adding a couple drops of oil to bearings. Do this twice a year to one in my shop which runs 24/7/365. Only time it shut off is power outage and to service it. Been running for over 25 years now. It was a "dumpster rescue fan, which needed some oiling. Early tomorrow (before it gets hot) going up on roof (two story) to oil roof vent fans. One fan is 25 years old, while the other is 40+ years old.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-17-2022 at 9:23 PM.

A good beer or 3
    A good scotch or 3
    KFC original recipe
    Found wood, green or reclaimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What is EDTA soaking???
    What is EDTA?
    I've never thought electrolysis to be dangerous. It's just washing soda and a battery charger.

Hot pepper sauce.
    Trinidad Scorpion to be exact.

Love the stuff.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Watching poison ivy wither and die after I spray it with RoundUp.

The look of a fresh cut lawn complete with stripes when finished.

The smell of curing hay.

Watching and listening to the fire (wood) in the fire ring. Something about the dancing of the flames is mesmerizing.

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid is an aminopolycarboxylic acid with the formula [CH₂N₂]₂. This white, water-soluble solid is widely used to bind to iron and calcium ions. It binds these ions as a hexadentate chelating agent. EDTA is produced as several salts, notably disodium EDTA, sodium calcium edetate, and tetrasodium EDTA.