Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock market😰

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Michael, how does holding cash make sense in a high inflation environment? Unless you have an account with very high interest?
    I would keep it in cash long enough to gain some market stability and world events settle down a bit. Flip side to that, is things continue to worsen and we move from recession to depression. But I am not expecting much of bounce, other than the weekly cat bounces and flops. It may get better in Nov, but who knows.....

I started out with $11,000 in one stock and haven't touched it. After it split and then split again I have over half a million in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    spin it up, but ytd we're losers.
    So who cares about YTD? The market will gyrate, as it alway does. You only make yourself crazy by looking at your investments more often than once every 2-3 years. Over the last 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 decades I (and the market overall) have done just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I’m hanging in there so far,but it’s surely painful.
    I’ve moved some money from technology to less volatile investments but there really is no place to hide, maybe cash, but you know what they say about market timing.
    What are you doing?
    Roger

"I’m hanging in there so far,but it’s surely painful." Also the OP says he's moved some money, says there's no place to hide and is considering a cash position.

....I took that to mean he cares what's happening ytd.

If I were an investor... and I'm not, I would be on the sidelines with cash and be looking to take advantage of undervalued stocks.
    but now daize for me....it's fixed annuities

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    If I were an investor... and I'm not, I would be on the sidelines with cash and be looking to take advantage of undervalued stocks.
    It's never easy to catch a falling knife or time the market...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    So who cares about YTD? The market will gyrate, as it alway does. You only make yourself crazy by looking at your investments more often than once every 2-3 years. Over the last 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 decades I (and the market overall) have done just fine.
    What I don't get is why someone who doesn't know another person would say they are invested wrong. I agree with you 100%. The market is going to rebound. Those who are in more aggressive investments are going to recover faster and to a higher degree. I'm at least 5 years away from retiring so I really don't care that I'm down. This fall the GOP will control the House and with it congress will be divided. That's usually good for investments. When I'm close to retirement then I'll move my money to less risky investments.

There's a lot of data about what works and what doesn't work in investing, and a trillion dollar industry based on getting people to do the wrong thing. It irks me.

Buying and holding a well-diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds, real estate and commodities in low cost index funds produces gains well matched to the overall market and economy with considerably less risk than any single or small number of investments, including cash which is subject to devastating losses in inflationary times.

Buying during falling markets and selling in rising markets can work OK, not not as well as buy and hold.

Trading on the market gyrations and trying to time the markets is virtually assured to cause you to not make as much money as you could, or to suffer real losses. Just look at actively managed mutual funds-- essentially all of them underperform their respective indexes. So even professional managers backed by tons of inside information and scads of computing power to analyze it fail to do as well as just broadly sampling the market.

People enjoy gambling, it can be fun. Setting aside a chunk of money to play the market with is fine, just know that it will, in all likelihood, cost you. I used to do that-- for a long time I bought Apple when the price dropped to $10 and sold it when it hit 25. Probably did that 6 times. Good fun, and I made money, but I completely missed out on it going from $25 to the equivalent of several thousand. After a few of the stocks I played that way went to zero rather than back up again I decided I had better things to do with my time.

Jerome, That sounds like Cisco back in the '90's. That was a good ride!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned fixed annuities yet, they're soooo exciting!!!
    LOL! That would be me!
    Since I don't understand the market - I avoid direct involvement in the market.
    The closest I come to the market is sticking money into an indexed annuity that's tied to the market, but, it offers protection on the principal.

It doesn't make much money - not enough to keep pace with inflation - but - it doesn't lose money, other than to inflation, either.

Not like my experience with variable annuities - those were a disaster.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

There is dollar cost averaging and nothing wrong with that. In fact a lot of people sleep well at night not needing to pay attention to the market swings. If I feel the market is at or near highs I might get rid of a dog and place that as cash along with savings to wait for a drop. I also look in the mirror on a regular basis and repeat "I cannot time the market". I do the best I can and look away.

Kind of surprised nobody has mentioned Bitcoin. With it way down I must admit that I thought about it. At the end of the day I just don't understand what gives it value or what reduces its value. I also don't feel comfortable that a lost password is also a loss of 100% of the investment, talk about a down day at the market.

Indexing is great until everybody does it. At some point the tail starts wagging the dog, we might be getting close to that point, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I started out with $11,000 in one stock and haven't touched it. After it split and then split again I have over half a million in it.
    Had to be Tesla I’m guessing.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Had to be Tesla I’m guessing.
    I believe Tesla has only split once. You'd need to have bought in 2013 for those gains.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    So who cares about YTD?. You only make yourself crazy by looking at your investments more often than once every 2-3 years..
    Well'p....I guess it's time for me to get up and go check on my Wachovia stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Jerome, That sounds like Cisco back in the '90's. That was a good ride!
    It was Revco drug stores bought out by CVS and CVS did the splits. I do get a nice did I do get a nice dividend check 4 times a year.