Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Stock market😰

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I suppose inflation could be controlled by recession. Either way, regular people are screwed. Unless wages go up for regular people, they will fall farther and father behind. And increasing wages are inflationary.

Somebody has to pay for all the government spending that is being passed. And student debt forgiveness is right around the corner...

Reality awaits...
    The really old way of fighting inflation was “sack - a - city “. High profit by “low overhead”
    Mel

Inflation has always been the answer to debt here, whether by spending more than comes in, or cutting taxes below what the government spends. Neither side seems to understand, or care much, but is quick to blame the other side. When anything and everything is operating on debt, inflation is sure to come.

Worldwide, the US is doing better. In the UK, inflation is 8.2%; Germany is 7.5%

Presently the US rate is 8.5% and going down from 9.1% in June.
    Regards,

Tom

I wouldn't pop the champagne cork just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    If raising interest rates is the only viable way to arrest inflation, I don't see any downward move on interest rates in the next year or more.
    I think you're right. The economy is the ultimate aircraft carrier.
    Doing a 180 from large interest rate increases to decreases within 12 months would probably confuse and spook the markets more than doing nothing. At best I could see interest rate increases stopping and holding status quo for a decent stretch while they monitor each quarter's new inflation numbers for a trend. Even that would be embraced by the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    My wife wanted me to throw a fit with the post office but I finally convinced her we may not get our mail delivered at all if I pitched a fit... (i reminded her of what Newman did with the mail on a Seinfeld episode )
    I love it. I've been watching Seinfeld clips and interview snippets lately. Great stuff.

However in between doing nothing and pitching a fit, is a polite mention to the PO that your dividend checks could have blown away. Here, the package would be in a plastic bag dangling from the mailbox but the letters would be inside. But I do get your point as to how the postperson (!) might react when called out by her boss. As I type this, I think my approach would be to keep quiet as well.