Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Jet 1642 is dead

My Jet 1642 is dead

My 1642 is about 15 years old. About 8 years ago it wouldn't turn on. I read the the on/off switch gets full of sawdust. I ordered a new one, but before installing it I tried blowing the dust out with air and it worked, so I never used the new switch.

Today it wouldn't turn on. I tried blowing the switch out, and when that didn't work, I replaced the switch. That didn't help.

The VFD display is blank. Maybe I never looked at it before; is it supposed to show something? I tried pushing the run and reset buttons, but nothing happened. I unplugged it for an hour, but that didn't help. I really don't know what else to do.

Testing with a voltmeter gave weird results. When I set the meter to AC the terminals on the forward/reverse switch show 2.9v touching one probe. When I touch the second probe to the lathe (which presumably is a decent ground) it goes to 25v. When I set it to DC it shows 5.5v between some terminals and 0v between others. I have no idea what that might mean.

Any help on this would be appreciated. The cheapest I can get a new inverter for is $500. Is it something I can install myself? There is a authorized repair shop 30 miles away, but I figure they will probably charge Jet's price of $1,000 for the inverter and $500 to install it. For that kind of price I would buy a new Grizzly for $2,000!

A guy on ebay charges $6 for looking at the VFD. He does not even hint at what fixing it will cost.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/23388455022...kAAOSw87diiEAj
    I have no idea what my chances are of a happy outcome with that.

Does the lathe require 110 or 220V power? If 220, you may have lost a leg. Try to reset your breaker first. Check to make sure you have the right voltage by plugging in another tool to the lathe outlet or check the outlet voltage.

The ebay listing is for Radwell International in Willingboro, NJ. https://info.radwell.ca/en/new-jersey-location
    I would give them a call and speak to their sales people to get an idea of the potential costs to repair or replace your electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Does the lathe require 110 or 220V power? If 220, you may have lost a leg. Try to reset your breaker first. Check to make sure you have the right voltage by plugging in another tool to the lathe outlet or check the outlet voltage.
    Lathe is the 120v. I checked the voltage and it is actually 120v. (2 years ago on a hot summer weekend it got down to 100v).

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    The ebay listing is for Radwell International in Willingboro, NJ. https://info.radwell.ca/en/new-jersey-location
    I would give them a call and speak to their sales people to get an idea of the potential costs to repair or replace your electronics.
    Is that a reputable company? I have had some bad experiences on Ebay and picture sending it to them, paying them $250 to fix it, and never hearing from them again.

Radwell is/was a good company (fair/large sized) have had good luck buying from them. have not used them for a while, hopefully nothing has changed. Have sold them used control boards also
    Ron

I haven't read where you have used a multi meter to test circuits. First rule of electrical troubleshooting is "find where the electricity ain't". Replacing parts is an expensive way to troubleshoot!

Does anyone have a Jet 1642 120v? If so, maybe you can check two things on yours.
    1) Does the display on the VFD show red characters? When it is off, or only when it is on. Since it is on the back, I never looked at mine. It shows nothing.
    2) In the VFD there is a block of ten terminals; the left most one has a yellow wire attached to it and is (according to the circuit diagram) supposed to be 10v. The right most terminal has a blue wire and is a ground. I only get 5vdc between them whether the power switch in on or off, and that might be the problem. Can you check yours?

Thanks much.
    There is no power going to the motor, so that suggests the motor isn't the problem.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 07-16-2022 at 4:04 PM.

Go to Doc Green's website...https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/pmcontrol1.html for troubleshooting tips. You may want to have a friend help you that knows the basics of electrical troubleshooting.

from memory…

Wade, I have two 115V Jet 1642s and a PM3520B which runs on 230V. All use the Delta S1 VFD but I think the PM and the 230V version of the Jet use a different version of the Delta. I’d have to check for the details but I prob won’t have time for a few days.

The blank display on the back of the VFD is a bad sign. Normally, when the VFD is plugged into AC power is the Delta S1 will show the frequency in red LEDs, zero when not spinning (I think it displays F 00) and higher when spinning. When one of mine had a blank display the VFD was fried.

The voltage on the control circuit is a low voltage DC, not AC, if I remember correctly. I think it’s 5vdc on the 1642 and 10vdc for the PM but I’d have to check. The VFD manual will give the voltage - one should have come with the lathe but you can search for Delta S1 VFD manual and download a copy. Only the lathe on/off switch and fwd/reverse switch use the DC control voltage.

Doc Green’s info is for the PM3520 but still a good reference for the circuit diagram but the specifics of things like the control voltage and wire colors are different for the Jet.

The speed display on the front of the 1642 lathe uses 120v AC and is independent of the VFD. As long as the lathe is getting power the front display should show zero RPM and the number should increase if you spin the lathe by hand (even if the VFD is non-functional)

When my 1642 started acting up I could usually get it working if I unplugged then reconnected the power cord. I used it for a couple of years like this but it eventually quit completely and I had to replace the VFD. One from Jet was too expensive so I bought a different brand and had to figure out how to program it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Does anyone have a Jet 1642 120v? If so, maybe you can check two things on yours.
    1) Does the display on the VFD show red characters? When it is off, or only when it is on. Since it is on the back, I never looked at mine. It shows nothing.
    2) In the VFD there is a block of ten terminals; the left most one has a yellow wire attached to it and is (according to the circuit diagram) supposed to be 10v. The right most terminal has a blue wire and is a ground. I only get 5vdc between them whether the power switch in on or off, and that might be the problem. Can you check yours?

Thanks much.
    There is no power going to the motor, so that suggests the motor isn't the problem.

If you can't get the vfd working, Galco.com and Factorymation.com used to have good prices on VFDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    If you can't get the vfd working, Galco.com and Factorymation.com used to have good prices on VFDs.
    Yup. I would definitely check other sources if Jet is too $$$$. I bought my Teco Westinghouse VFD for my drill press from Dealers Electric in North Joisy. I just checked and they have a 2 h.p. Leeson 230 volt single phase input for $199. I'm sure there are cheaper Asian VFDs but I was concerned about support as well as component quality. I need not have worried, it was pretty straight forward but Teco Westinghouse had a pretty extensive manual available online.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Following this.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Following this.
    I presume you have a lathe with a broken VFD? What machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

Thanks much.
    Don’t have this lathe - or get to this forum often - but if it helps…

99%* of VFDs I’ve commissioned, worked on, and/or seen …all have a active display as soon as the VFD receives power. What is displayed can vary all over the map, and is configurable, but there is SOMETHING there. Most will also run a fan - even if on low - when they receive power. (There is a ‘hack’ to shut the fan off when the motor is not operating, but interpolating from posts, I’m guessing you have not done this.)

Bottom line, you should have both display and fan - - IF THE VFD HAS POWER. I don’t see in posts that you have checked this with a meter, but if not, test the power input to the VFD. (Better to replace a fuse or CB than a VFD.)

The 5V (DC) that you measure is typical on many VFD control power circuits. I regularly see 24VDC, 10VDC, and 5VDC here. Your manual or Jet Tech Support should be able to tell you the proper voltage for your lathe.

*- for the persnickety, some VFDs allow the small display (HIM :: human interface module) to be moved to a remote location, and even a dummy/blank module to be clipped onto the VFD itself - the display is not ‘on’ the VFD. I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is doubtful for Jet. The other 1% use only a custom built interface and control via PLC/HMI/SCADA systems.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-03-2022 at 2:44 AM. Reason: Typo