Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor (or?) recommendation to blow out a HEPA filter

Compressor (or?) recommendation to blow out a HEPA filter

I've had an Oneida Mini-gorilla for a bit over a year; it's working well. Its HEPA filter is getting clogged, CFM is down, and the manual makes it clear I should be blowing compressed air, between 30-60 psi, downward at the filter (approx 20 degree angle from a distance of 6 inches) to blow dust off the filter media.

With a shopvac hooked up to the bottom of the filter, the shopvac will remove the dust I blast free, and that's how CFM is maintained throughout the useful life of the filter.

So I guess I need an air compressor. I've never owned one, hoping for recommendations. The filter is a decent size -- it'll be over 800 square inches of surface area to blast with compressed air -- so I'm wondering if I get a small, quiet compressor with a low SCFM and small tank (like this one) -- will it take 16 hours? Do I need an 80 gallon, 5 hp monster? Are there other tools which produce enough compressed air?

I don't have that specific DC but for the 2 I have I use a leaf blower. An air compressor would be like trying to paint a house with a pencil

Use a shop vac with a hepa filter to just remove the dust with an upholstery brush attachment.
    Bill D.

PS: shop vac went out of business this year

I have used a leaf blower with good results…lol. I take it outdoors and let er rip…

I do the same with my Wynn canister filter. I pull it outside, and with a dust mask on, I use my backpack Stihl to blow it off.

I did mine earlier this year outside with an air compressor. Big mistake. It's an endless task, and you never really get everything. Didn't see the leaf blower suggestion until it was too late. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-Humanity!!!!

Use a leaf blower.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Use a leaf blower from the outside…..if it’s really clogged, you may have to blow out the inside as well. Avoid high pressure “spot” cleaning with an air hose close to the filter.

I use these methods with my Oneida V1500:

1. If I don't want to take the filter completely off and take it outside (like in winter), I have a small Dewalt 20V leaf blower. I just blow the dust inward before taking the cup off the bottom and emptying it. I usually have to do this about twice before enough dust is removed. I also usually lightly bump the outsides with my hands which also loosens some of the dust. The blower won't get all of it but enough to make the filter like new each time. The blower is a lower power one which probably won't work well for leaf blowing so it's a one-purpose tool.

2. If I take the filter off and bring it outside, I use my regular gas powered leaf blower; much higher power. I just blow the air through the inside along the length of the filter; usually from each end. Usually no dust comes out the ends after one cycle from each side (can't see much or any coming off). This is the best method. It may not get all the dust out, but there isn't much left.

The one thing you probably want to avoid is blowing directly into the filter pleats from the side with a high powered blower or high pressure compressor nozzle. It's possible to damage the HEPA filter which is expensive to replace.

I have found that either of these methods work. The outside method is best though.

I had a feeling the minds at SC would come through -- great suggestion on the leaf blower, and I already own one, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I don't have that specific DC but for the 2 I have I use a leaf blower. An air compressor would be like trying to paint a house with a pencil
    A leaf blower will not clean the filter nearly as well as compressed air will. It just can't get enough airflow between the pleats to clear out the dust. I've tried both. I do use the leaf blower to get the dust out of the OH door though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    A leaf blower will not clean the filter nearly as well as compressed air will. It just can't get enough airflow between the pleats to clear out the dust. I've tried both. I do use the leaf blower to get the dust out of the OH door though.

that is true, i use compressed air as well and a little spanking will go a long ways….lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post

Frank, what would you guess to be the minimum requirements for a compressor that can clean the filter in, say, under an hour?

I still believe the leaf blower is by far the best tool for the job. Once blown out with the leaf blower there is very little left and not worth the time for a small stream of pressurized air

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    Frank, what would you guess to be the minimum requirements for a compressor that can clean the filter in, say, under an hour?
    The process shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes, not including showering off in your driveway to avoid issues with dragging your dusty self inside.

The ideal compressor is a very large one, but "larger small one" or medium sized compressor will do. They will just run nearly constantly for this kind of task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...