Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sawstop Compact Table Saw

New Sawstop Compact Table Saw

Looks interesting. Should be a great addition for the on site trades. I could see some sort of way to attach to the various flavor jobsite stacking toolbox setups as a nice accessory.

https://www.sawstop.com/product/compact-table-saw/

Can’t wait to hear reviews of the accuracy.

Interesting. From what I have seen job-site saws are mostly used by finish carpenters and flooring guys. The latter exclusively use it to rip hardwood flooring, so only a few inches of rip capacity is needed and nothing else. This might be a bit too small for finish carpenters that need to cut shelving and other larger items though....

Just checked with Sawstop and the new CTS has no dado capability. Therefore no box joints unless someone makes a 10” quarter inch kerf blade

I sold my Sawstop PCS because it was too big. This could be compelling if this saw can do mitered cross cuts better than a miter saw and if the rip fence is more reliable than typical benchtop table saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I sold my Sawstop PCS because it was too big. This could be compelling if this saw can do mitered cross cuts better than a miter saw and if the rip fence is more reliable than typical benchtop table saws.
    The current mid-size portable version might be more to your liking. I don't know much about the fence, etc, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    They even give you a place to store an extra cartridge. I wonder if it actually comes with the spare cartridge.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-15-2022 at 1:27 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They even give you a place to store an extra cartridge. I wonder if it actually comes with the spare cartridge.
    Not according to their website

I’m about to buy the jobsite, any chance the fence on this will be more accurate?

I’ve read complaints about the jobsite fence, though the current version is supposed to be better than the first.

I’m a beginner and the sawstop safety feels worth the money until I get more comfortable. I’m pretty tight on space and stretching my budget already otherwise I would just get the contractor saw with the mobile base

Jerry,

I started with a Dewalt jobsite saw and had good luck with the rack and pinion style rip fence. If I remember correctly, it looks very similar to this SS saw.

I would recommend that you build a crosscut sled as your first project. You can get great accuracy with one and crosscut pretty large pieces. Crosscut sleds also keep you hands safely away from the blade.

Thanks Keegan, if I don’t buy a Sawstop I had my eye on a Dewalt with Rack and Pinion, I haven’t read any bad reviews of that fence.

and yes, crosscut sled will be the first build!

Does it use the same cartridge or do you have buy another size spare?
    Bill D

I like my Dewalt. It gives better results than I would have imagined. Having used full size saws most of my life I feel like it would be easy to misjudge how close the blade is to the front of the table with the portable saw. Plus I think about an old age moment mistake going forward. When my Dewalt needs replacement I would strongly consider the Sawstop.

Circling back to this thread. Has anyone purchased and used this saw?

I have been impressed by videos but there haven't been too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Circling back to this thread. Has anyone purchased and used this saw?

I have been impressed by videos but there haven't been too many.
    Isn't this the one that Derek A. bought? Maybe he got the slightly larger original job site saw...not sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...