Thread: grizzly jointer

grizzly jointer

i just bought the g0814x jointer and it seems like it has too much vibration and when you join boards alot of the chips are coming back out of the cracks where the fence attaches,,,,i checked the aligment of the pulleys and they were off just a little so i got them right but it is still having the same problem,,i called grizzly but they were really busy and didnt have alot of time to go into detail,,,im going to call back tomorrow but i just thought maybe someone on here could help,,thank you

Hard to know without pictures, since it’s hard to tell what’s going on. Is your DC adequate?

Generally when I see chips coming out of places they shouldn't that indicates the dust shoot is plugged up. I've done that by forgetting to open the blast gate. Yesterday I did that by forgetting to hook the DC hose off the jointer to a DC port. doh!!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

For vibrations I would look at upgrading the belt. I'm sure Grizzly would send you a new one but you can buy a high quality one or even a link belt. I get some chips that don't get sucked up come back out around the head.

Is it possible that the belt needs a twist in it , and doesn’t have one ?

Take your time to adjust the pulleys and make sure that every bolt is tight over the entire machine. I would go to Harbor Freight and get an adjustable link belt. That should eliminate your vibrations

If your floor is not perfectly flat you may need to adjust or shim the feet if you haven't already. Link belts are also a option to help limit vibration.

The chips coming out of unwanted places sounds like a dust collection problem. Not likely related to the vibration observation but possible if the vibration was not present initially. Perhaps there are chips getting between the belt and sheave grooves.

Actual vibration is likely coming from a junk belt. My Grizzly jointer came with a belt that had varying section thickness and vibrated accordingly. This can be felt or visualized with the belt off of the machine. If you detect this, buy a new v-belt from nearly anyone but the Griz folks or Harbor Freight and your problem will be gone (going to Harbor Freight to improve quality sounds like the basic definition of oxymoron).

It is also possible that one of the sheaves has a nonuniform groove which will also cause bad vibration. That is a Grizzly problem to fix. Loose set screws can also exaggerate vibration issues but my money is on the v-belt itself.

I have an older Grizzly G0455 10" jointer, modified with a Byrd Shellix head shortly after purchase. Traditional build with infeed/outfeed beds on dovetail ways. It has always spit chips out between fence at the head, especially with the Byrd head pitched to throw in that direction, even with a 5HP DC. I've duct-taped perimeter of base and placed a "lid" on the dust chute to help focus the vacuum pull, as it was designed initially as an open trough running about 20" from cutter head down to hose fitting, relying on gravity vs. a 4-sided port. With those upgrades it still spits a few cups per hour. Still, it is an MVP for the size of it and ease of flattening at over 7' long tip to tail.
    You should see the mess my new SCM slider makes. Just incredible, again, even using 5" hose and 5HP 3phase collector.

Point being, some machines just cannot be made 100% dust free.

Vibration:
    +1 on the belt change. Match part number to a quality Gates brand at local parts store, or as others stated, just get a segmented one. I remember my neighbor receiving a new Grizzly table saw a few years ago, and the vibration from low quality belt had everything rattling and ringing like mad on that brand new machine.

jeff

Take a video of what is going on and send that to Grizzly. That gives them much better information to assess the severity of the issue. Put something on one of the tables if the vibration is bad enough to move it. Make sure the obstruction in the dust chute isn't a manual or packing of some sort. Then just wait, they'll start sending you parts to rebuild your new machine in no time.

Blog Entries
    I think folks have covered the bases pretty well here. This is a very basic 6" machine and there is not a lot that will add vibration if everything is made and assembled OK.
    - You've got a helical head so make sure there isn't an insert missing.
    - Pulleys aligned reasonably; if they are even close you should be OK.
    - Some pulleys have stacked grub screws; one to lock the pulley in place and one to keep that grub from backing out. My point is to check the manual/parts diagram to make sure you aren't confirming the top screw is tight while the lower one is not.
    - You can remove the belt and confirm that the motor is not vibrating with the rest of the machine disconnected. Grizzly should have recommended this right off.
    Troubleshooting is a process. Don't get discouraged. Report back as you go. Lots of clever folks on here to help.

P.s. I use link belts on a lot of things. They can smooth things out and quiet things down. The one on my 8" jointer has been in place for 15 years and has never needed adjustment.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If this is on a dc make sure the dust chute has a top so it is not drawing from all the inside of the cabinet instead of concentrating on the cutterhead area.
    Bill D