Thread: Thoughts/order of ops making particular bed legs

Thoughts/order of ops making particular bed legs

I have a two part question regarding a queen size, rift saw white oak bed design. I enjoy the look of these beds and would like to incorporate some elements of the photos below into my build.

—Additional info, subject to change- Bed rails, footboard, & headboard crossmember will be 5.75”x1.125”. Dominos for joining head/footboard to legs. 7.5” clearance from bottom of rails. These (?) fasteners for side rails. Total height of headboard ~40”

1) What’s the best approach for making footboard bed legs as pictured? My thoughts are either- start with squared, oversize stock, making it easier for layout and cutting mortises, then cut curve/shape edges OR take ~2.5×1.5” stock, set saw to 45* and rip corners off on side, then layout/mortise, etc. First approach seems wasteful though more sensible for layout. Second approach would make mortising for rail hardware more challenging. Thoughts?

2) Is there any disadvantage to attaching the rails to the headboard crossmember vs the leg? I like how the back flares out more than the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrey Cazalas View Post
    1) What’s the best approach for making footboard bed legs as pictured? My thoughts are either- start with squared, oversize stock, making it easier for layout and cutting mortises, then cut curve/shape edges OR take ~2.5×1.5” stock, set saw to 45* and rip corners off on side, then layout/mortise, etc. First approach seems wasteful though more sensible for layout. Second approach would make mortising for rail hardware more challenging. Thoughts?
    I would use the 2nd approach and glue/tape some angled blocks on the piece to make it easier to hold the piece and cut the mortises.

As for the location of the kd hardware on the leg vs crossmember I don't think it matters structurally, provided you have enough room for your mortice or domino. You'd have a little more depth available on the leg since it is thicker. That hardware probably needs about 14mm of depth so you'd need to have the hardware be 50 or 70mm away from the leg or make the cross member thick enough that it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Greg Funk; 07-13-2022 at 8:57 PM.