Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altendorf scoring blade not retracting?

Altendorf scoring blade not retracting?

Hi everyone,
    I need help with this issue
    The shopÂ’s Sliding Altendorf F45 scoring blade is not retracting itself after itÂ’s activated. In fact it stays up all the time even when the saw is off.

I appreciate any suggestions as to go about solving this

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bejarano View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I need help with this issue
    The shopÂ’s Sliding Altendorf F45 scoring blade is not retracting itself after itÂ’s activated. In fact it stays up all the time even when the saw is off.

I appreciate any suggestions as to go about solving this
    I don't know Altendorf from Struesseldorf, but have done some electrical troubleshooting thru the years. Can you post pics of the actuator, and any schematics from the manual, etc...??

I assume some sort of actuator, and either the actuator or the control circuit is faulty. But, it may also be just 'torque activated'...? ....Maybe a drop of oil or grease shot in the right spot?

I’m looking at the manual and it’s emphatic about not using oil or grease. I also thought applying grease/oil would help and I wonder why is “prohibitory” which is the word the manual uses

I can’t post pics because of privileges. Do I have to donate for that. I’m sorry for my ignorance

I’m looking at the manual and it’s emphatic about not using oil or grease. I also thought applying grease/oil would help and I wonder why is “prohibitory” which is the word the manual uses

I can’t post pics because of privileges. Do I have to donate for that. I’m sorry for my ignorance
    As a member, I was able to post pics, but could not ‘see’ mine or other’s pics. Not sure if this still holds. Just FYI.

Yes, if you become a Contributor for a minimum $6 a year contribution, you'll have access to photos, private messages, the Classifieds and another area of the forum not visible to the Internet/bots or non-Contributors. Click the "Donate" button up at the top of the page.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i don't know about the altendorf.. but my martin uses (i believe) air to actuate the raising and lowering of the scoring blade if you look in the cabinet, you might see an air-activated solenoid or such, and it might simply need cleaning. just an idea.

I am not being a jerk. Is the saw connected to the air line? My friend is a machine tech and likes to tell the story of going all the way to Texas to plug a machine back in to "fix" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    I am not being a jerk. Is the saw connected to the air line? My friend is a machine tech and likes to tell the story of going all the way to Texas to plug a machine back in to "fix" it.
    Your friend and I may have had (at one time) the same customer.... I drove 3hrs on emergency billing rates - in the middle of the night, only to point at a red LED (blown fuse indicator). And another time in a flood to point out that their automation system could not identify or repair a shaft key that fell out.

(They were CLEARLY not native Texans; they drove a Subaru IIRC)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 07-14-2022 at 10:54 AM. Reason: ...not a pickup.

I’m sure that all of us that have done service work have similar stories.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I’m sure that all of us that have done service work have similar stories.

I once replaced a failed incandescent pilot lamp for one of the big 3 automakers, on Christmas Day, over $2K labour, under $2 for the lamp.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I once replaced a failed incandescent pilot lamp for one of the big 3 automakers, on Christmas Day, over $2K labour, under $2 for the lamp.........Rod.
    Did you have to a company electrician and his supervisor there while you worked. Years ago heard the story of my company replacing a failed motor on a pump. Had to have our guy and a pipe filter, electrician, and a supervisor while our guy did the work. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Did you have to a company electrician and his supervisor there while you worked. Years ago heard the story of my company replacing a failed motor on a pump. Had to have our guy and a pipe filter, electrician, and a supervisor while our guy did the work. Brian
    I did actually have a shift electrician with me, however he let me change the lamp.

We were in the battery charging room, and he was busy smoking, I was concentrating on getting out ASAP and I already had the lamp changing tool in my hand…….Regards, Rod.

Daniel, did you ever figure this out? I have a F-45. I can not seem to raise the blade. It goes up and down alittle but not enough to engage the wood....I was looking for grease points. I see the manual shows a grease fitting but have not figured out how to access the fitting with out removing the top? Any suggestions? Dealer has not been responsive?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dubie View Post
    Daniel, did you ever figure this out? I have a F-45. I can not seem to raise the blade. It goes up and down alittle but not enough to engage the wood....I was looking for grease points. I see the manual shows a grease fitting but have not figured out how to access the fitting with out removing the top? Any suggestions? Dealer has not been responsive?
    As David mentioned above my saw uses compressed air to raise the scoring blade. It also uses air to lock/unlock the rip fence, and if I forget to turn the switch on the fence off it sometimes keeps the scoring blade from raising fully. What I’m trying to get at is if your saw uses air, any leaks or insufficient pressure could be something to check.

I would guess the no grease is because grease will attract sawdust and gum up moving parts. I assume this blade goes up and down on a slide track. It may go down just by gravity so any dusty gunk will prevent it from moving down.
    BilL D