Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to build wall cabinets on exposed studs?

Hey Will,

I think that you can do a lot with that shop! The number one rule of shops is that they are never big enough so it is just a matter of making the best use of the space you have available! I could have a whole Costco warehouse store for a shop and I would still be pinched for space in just a few years!

I am right in the middle of rearranging my shop to accommodate a new table saw. I am having a hard time figuring out where I want to put everything for best usage of space. It has been recommended SEVERAL times on this forum and I think I am finally going to have to give in and just do it... it is time for me to cut out scale shapes of all my big machines and an outline of my interior shop space so I can try different layouts and see how multiple arrangements work and flow. I pride myself on being very good at picturing stuff in my mind and figuring out how to put it all together... I think that the paper outlines will really help a lot though.

What tools do you currently own for tools and what is on your list of of what you would like to own? What type of projects interest you? Is your shop going to be dedicated to woodworking or a bit of everything? If you try the idea of arranging your shop with paper cut outs you might be able to figure out how to maximize the cutting length on your table saw. Or maybe a track saw might be a better alternative to design your shop around?

Seeing your pictures I can understand why you want to make cabinets that will go between the studs to make use of every inch of available space. I still think I would suggest that you consider finishing the interior with insulation and plywood to make it a space that can be used in a wider variety of temperatures. One nice thing about a small shop is that you could heat and cool it with a mini-split heat pump or even a window AC effectively if it is insulated well. I would also guess that the materials to finish the interior might be somewhat affordable even in this time of inflated prices on everything.

I am not really making any recommendations, more just throwing some ideas out to hopefully spur your imagination.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-20-2022 at 1:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    Hey Will,

I think that you can do a lot with that shop! The number one rule of shops is that they are never big enough so it is just a matter of making the best use of the space you have available! I could have a whole Costco warehouse store for a shop and I would still be pinched for space in just a few years!

I am right in the middle of rearranging my shop to accommodate a new table saw. I am having a hard time figuring out where I want to put everything for best usage of space. It has been recommended SEVERAL times on this forum and I think I am finally going to have to give in and just do it... it is time for me to cut out scale shapes of all my big machines and an outline of my interior shop space so I can try different layouts and see how multiple arrangements work and flow. I pride myself on being very good at picturing stuff in my mind and figuring out how to put it all together... I think that the paper outlines will really help a lot though.

What tools do you currently own for tools and what is on your list of of what you would like to own? What type of projects interest you? Is your shop going to be dedicated to woodworking or a bit of everything? If you try the idea of arranging your shop with paper cut outs you might be able to figure out how to maximize the cutting length on your table saw. Or maybe a track saw might be a better alternative to design your shop around?

Seeing your pictures I can understand why you want to make cabinets that will go between the studs to make use of every inch of available space. I still think I would suggest that you consider finishing the interior with insulation and plywood to make it a space that can be used in a wider variety of temperatures. One nice thing about a small shop is that you could heat and cool it with a mini-split heat pump or even a window AC effectively if it is insulated well. I would also guess that the materials to finish the interior might be somewhat affordable even in this time of inflated prices on everything.

I am not really making any recommendations, more just throwing some ideas out to hopefully spur your imagination.
    My shop was built with the intention that it would be primarily for woodworking, but I certainly use the space for other household projects where I need workspace.

Current tool list:
    -SawStop Contractor saw w/36” fence. This is the backbone of my shop and I use it as often as possible.
    -Miter saw. Used much less often since I got the table saw but still useful. Currently stored under my larger workbench.
    -Benchtop sized lathe. Also stored under my big bench.
    -Drill press
    -Assortment of hand power tools (sanders, jig saw, circular saw)
    -Neanderthal tools: #4/#5 handplanes, dovetail saws, chisels. Very small footprint.

Long term I don’t intend to buy many more power tools if I can avoid it. I was quoted $2,000 to run power out to the shop due to the high cost of wire right now. So I’ve been running the shop off a couple of 10ga extension cords running from my house. I basically “plug in” the shop to get power. I’ve been drawn to more hand tools due to the lack of noise and dust. I’d like to function for as long as I can without buying large tools like a bandsaw, power planer, etc because I’m at my limit on amperage on the circuit Im pulling from and would have to run dedicated power for anything else. I’ve already tripped the breaker a few times when cutting 8/4 hard maple and running lights and a large fan.

I’m pretty good with 3D modeling and I already have a model of the shop. In lieu of using paper cutouts, I’ll probably model up my tools and benches to see if there’s a good way to position everything. My table saw has the mobile base so right now it stays in the corner until I need it and I can wheel it to the center of the shop to give me room to work.