Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Sketchup Make 2017 still available for free

is Sketchup Make 2017 still available for free

i thought it was still available...this is the non-web version that runs on a pc. it had all the features i really needed and can't justify the yearly fee. So anyway i downloaded the 'free' version but it expired. i used to have a version that had no expiration. anyone know where i can find a version somewhere?
    Bob C

I have the old Mac version of SketchUp installed on my computer. Even if all the downloaded files are still present on my computer after installation (which I don’t know for sure), I don’t think it can be copied, sent, and used on your computer. I remember I had to submit an authorization request to activate the program. The authorization would not go through under current management.

I continue to use the downloaded version because I my satellite connection has limited upload and download bytes per month. The new version would use part of my monthly internet. I do not know how much. Truth is, I hardly use it.

Looks like they pulled Make 2017: https://help.sketchup.com/en/make-access I downloaded it just a few months ago, too, when I got a new PC, so it must be a recent change.

John

That's a shame. It's annoying to have to switch to a recurring fee for something that doesn't get used very often. I still have 2016 & 17 versions that allow me to access old designs. Maybe you can find an old executable around somewhere. Or switch to Fusion360.

Sketchlist 5 is a great 3D program. However, it appears online like they just started an annual maintenance fee. They just couldn't make it with all the overhead of regular updates and other ongoing maintenance to keep current with Windows and Apple's OS. I believe you can buy the current version and use it without an annual maintenance fee, but it now seems to be a little pricey. There are 2 versions of Sketchlist; Hobby and Pro. If the Hobby version works for what you need it for, then that is quite a bit cheaper. All the information is on the Sketchlist website.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    That's a shame. It's annoying to have to switch to a recurring fee for something that doesn't get used very often. I still have 2016 & 17 versions that allow me to access old designs. Maybe you can find an old executable around somewhere. Or switch to Fusion360.

Fusion 360 was and remains a foreign language to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    Definitely a learning curve the but the parametric features are quite powerful. Allows you to easily make changes to key dimensions in a project without having to re-design.

Blog Entries

John
    it takes a significant investment of time to become proficient in it. I found this series of videos to be of great help, although I still ran into issues because of my incomplete learning.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...JkW10L-1bmchnk

I did some searching and found this site for Sketchup Make version 17 64 bit.

SketchUp Make (64-bit) Download (2022 Latest) (filehorse.com)

My anti-virus programs said it was safe. Check the file before you install it with your anti-virus software to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    it takes a significant investment of time to become proficient in it. I found this series of videos to be of great help, although I still ran into issues because of my incomplete learning.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...JkW10L-1bmchnk
    Mike - thanks for sharing those - I had not seen them before, and that's nice that they are geared specifically towards wood working. For general 3D solid modeling with Fusion 360, the set of tutorials from Arnold Rowntree are the best I have seen - and I always recommend them. I went thru Arnold's tutorials several times a few years ago and I found them extremely helpful to me for making the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360.

As has been mentioned, the fact that these are parametric modeling programs allow for very quick and easy edits without having to redraw the entire part.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRKJgTSS4c&list=PLFCTgdiT5-kLBNvrkUNy63Gu1tWdRuKkr&index=2

Arnold Rowntree Learn Fusion 360.jpg

If all else fails, I have the executable for the 2017 stand alone version. It is ~170Mb, though, so we would need to figure out the best way to transfer it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    i thought it was still available...this is the non-web version that runs on a pc. it had all the features i really needed and can't justify the yearly fee. So anyway i downloaded the 'free' version but it expired. i used to have a version that had no expiration. anyone know where i can find a version somewhere?
    Bob, pretty sure I have that download as well. Will check later today. If I do, I’ll load it onto my OneDrive or Dropbox and if you pm me your email address, I’ll send you a link.

Looks like they pulled Make 2017: https://help.sketchup.com/en/make-access I downloaded it just a few months ago, too, when I got a new PC, so it must be a recent change.

John
    I can provide some info here. I'm the software engineering manager for SketchUp Pro.

Yes, we removed our download link for SketchUp Make 2017 recently. The link John posted explains why. For those that don't know, Make was the free version of Pro and 2017 means that version hasn't had any updates in 5 years. We didn't do anything to disable Make, we just stopped hosting the downloads. It's possible we'll disable Make down the road but as of now it still works. But as others have said, be very careful where you download it from.

Tim, I'm sorry Sketchup had to take Make 2017 down. SU has been very useful to me for many years.

My copy of Make 2017 has recently lost contact with the 3D Warehouse. The opening page of the Warehouse shows up, but no models show up, and the search function does not find any models. Has Sketchup turned that off too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    My copy of Make 2017 has recently lost contact with the 3D Warehouse. The opening page of the Warehouse shows up, but no models show up, and the search function does not find any models. Has Sketchup turned that off too?
    We didn't intentionally break that or turn it off but you're right that it doesn't work right anymore. That's a good example of why we needed to stop supporting Make. Things that were current 5 years ago (like the version of the web browser embedded in SketchUp for use by 3D Warehouse) are way out of date now. That old browser can't support newer web standards, so as 3DW has been updated to take advantage of new capabilities, the old browser simply isn't capable of displaying it.

There's a workaround for what you're seeing though. If you go to the Components browser you can search 3DW from there. In the search box it says "3D Warehouse" until you start typing something there. Honestly I've always thought it was a little weird that this searches 3DW instead of searching the components in your model, but it works to your advantage in this case.