Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: veneer over plywood substrate question

Excellent observation. As an amateur and a first-time veneerer I've failed dismally once and expect failure this time too. Vacuum bags and wet glue veneering are beyond me.

It's not that complicated. A small project like that can be pressed with a few clamps and cauls sufficient to get even pressure across the surface. Getting enough heat to the glueline through thick veneer with an iron without causing problems will be a challenge. Why do it the hard way?

vacuum bag is not complicated and it works well, yes it can fail if issues in your set up or application. I had a test one fail once but it was a test and the issue was not getting enough vacuum.

Ive never done the iron thing but I do iron my shirts and did stay at a Motel 6 once. The iron thing is new to me didnt exist or us know about it back 40 years ago. Did I not hear that some of that iron on stuff had been failing?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    vacuum bag is not complicated and it works well, yes it can fail if issues in your set up or application. I had a test one fail once but it was a test and the issue was not getting enough vacuum.

Ive never done the iron thing but I do iron my shirts and did stay at a Motel 6 once. The iron thing is new to me didnt exist or us know about it back 40 years ago. Did I not hear that some of that iron on stuff had been failing?
    I'm not necessarily trying to convert you, Warren, but this is a photo from today of a 1/16" test cut from softwood which I ironed to baltic birch 1 month ago. The cut is rough and I did not scrape or otherwise smooth the side in contact with the plywood. I used Titebond II and let it dry 2-3 hours before ironing it. It stuck quickly and I see no evidence of separation at the margin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just have no experience with the iron thing and non of the old guys i knew ever mentioned it.

I learned if I stay in one place too long on my dress shirts though that people will ask what is that on my shirt. It sounded sensible to me same principle sort of as an edge bander then years later someone told me about failures but dont know who. Id like to think it works fine and good for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    I'm not necessarily trying to convert you, Warren, but this is a photo from today of a 1/16" test cut from softwood which I ironed to baltic birch 1 month ago. The cut is rough and I did not scrape or otherwise smooth the side in contact with the plywood. I used Titebond II and let it dry 2-3 hours before ironing it. It stuck quickly and I see no evidence of separation at the margin.
    That's impressive. I have veneered numerous MDF loudspeaker cabinets using the iron method without a single failure. However, I used paper-backed veneer with Titebond original, not shop-sawn veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I just have no experience with the iron thing and non of the old guys i knew ever mentioned it.

I learned if I stay in one place too long on my dress shirts though that people will ask what is that on my shirt. It sounded sensible to me same principle sort of as an edge bander then years later someone told me about failures but dont know who. Id like to think it works fine and good for life.
    I am new to veneering and really don't think I'll have occasion to do it again. The iron-on method with dry positioning of the pieces does not necessitate veneer tape and vacuum bag and seems to have less "opportunity" for failure in my hands. There are only three 4 1/2" strips of veneer on each side, so ​what could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    That's impressive. I have veneered numerous MDF loudspeaker cabinets using the iron method without a single failure. However, I used paper-backed veneer with Titebond original, not shop-sawn veneer.
    Thank you, Sean. I'm a blundering amateur. The serving tray began as a gift for a friend. Since I expressed that intention, her daughter has become critically ill. Somehow I hope that the hand scraping and other irregular work will translate as a tribute and a prayer for them. I expect no resolution but want to add this magical thinking to the gift.