Thread: Induction Cookware

Induction Cookware

Question for all the induction stove aficionados, which brand of cookware did you choose? We're getting along on the kitchen remodel and I don't think the loving bride will be happy if we don't have pots and pans to use when we're done.

I've been looking on line for cookware and my head hurts. Found out you can't believe all online searches either for induction ready cookware. We'd like nonstick frying pans that are PFOA/PTFE free.

Any ideas are appreciated.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

For non-stick, we went with the Le creuset toughened non-stick series. They are PFOA free, but I assume contain PFTE. We've only had them a couple of months, but so far we love them. Work well on our induction range. We love the weight and balance and the handles. They say dishwasher safe but I hand wash them and so far they look like new. Pans and lids are oven safe up to reasonable temps.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You don't need "special" cookware for an induction cooktop. You just need cookware that has ferrous metal in it...steel/iron. You will, however, see more and more cookware marked as "induction capable". I personally use Zwilling ceramic non-stick (i prefer their new Clad CFX version), Staub enameled cast iron and MadeIn carbon steel. I prefer the enameled cast iron because there's less chance of damage from scratching to the glass cooking surface than with "regular" cast iron, but there's zero issue using the latter if you have it, like it and can confirm there are no rough surfaces on the bottom.

You can immediately avoid cookware that is anodized aluminum as most of that is not compatible.

We are a no PFTE household for cooking. We have birds and PFTE is deadly to them. (it's not just cookware...many countertop appliances also have PFTE non-stick coatings)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't care for non-stick cookware. I use good, old antique Griswold cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. For my sauce pans and a big saute pan I have All-Clad. It all works well on my cooktop, but the Cast Iron is much quieter, if the little buzz annoys yoou.

I like my All-Clad stainless and non-stick sets. I don't have an induction stove but the particular sets I have are made for use on induction cook tops.

Le Creuset, the wife's choice and she loves it.

Blog Entries
    We went with All-Clad mostly. Our large multi pot is Viking. We have one All-Clad nonstick pan for low temperature stuff like omelets. The rest of the skillets are cast iron that came to me from the family.

I bought a set of Green pans a few months ago, They are ceramic coated. So far, they have worked much better than I was expecting. Better than my other high dollar stuff from France..... I got a stainless, three pan set from Williamsons Sonoma. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...kware-greenpan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I bought a set of Green pans a few months ago, They are ceramic coated. So far, they have worked much better than I was expecting. Better than my other high dollar stuff from France.....
    Green Pan has several levels of product from "really aimed at mass market" to "really aimed at folks who truly like to cook". My original ceramic pans were from them, but at the time, they were anodized aluminum and wouldn't be compatible with my induction range if I still owned them. But they now sell induction compatible pans that have the request ferrous metals to work with that cooking method.

-------
    BTW, I was just remarking to Professor Dr. SWMBO tonight that I remain completely amazed at how fast our induction range can bring things up to temp including boiling water. My Staub enameled cast iron rice pot is boiling in a minute or less. And the control beyond that is super satisfying...better than the $10+K Thermador gas range I had at the other house.
    --

We have a portable induction cooktop-and a GE 5 burner gas range, so I don't use the cooktop too much. I think it's 1500w but not sure, I'm assuming 'good' induction ranges have much more power-?

But when I do use the cooktop, I have one of those old cheapie, really thin 10" steel frying pans... with that pan I can boil water faster than the stove OR the 1200w microwave, sear (or burn!) a microwaved sausage or burger patty within 15 seconds, and it'll get oil hot enough to deep fry my corn tortillas for tacos in less than 30 seconds. Great for warming flour tortilla's fast too, without toughening them up like the microwave does.

I don't use our regular cookware on it because, unlike the flimsy steel pan, it takes too long IMO to get hot. Once hot, the heat control is nice, but so is gas

If you guys see a used el-cheapo steel pan at the thrift store buy it
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

There are definitely some advantages to induction tops. I can't give up gas though (kinda tough to char a pepper on an induction top). A dual cooktop that has both would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    There are definitely some advantages to induction tops. I can't give up gas though (kinda tough to char a pepper on an induction top). A dual cooktop that has both would be ideal.
    I thought I'd feel real pain from giving up gas when we moved here, especially since I was also used to a high end range. Once I had the induction range here...nope. ZERO regret. Actually more control and less volatiles in the air. I'm truly loving it at this point and wish I would have made the switch years ago when I bought the second high end gas range to replace the first one at the old property.
    --

Fissler Original Profi Collection. Made in Germany. Excellent quality. Interchangeable glass lids. Volume markings. Great handles. Easy to keep clean. The steamer is particularly useful; it's just the right size for 2-4. It used to be possible to buy from overseas vendors for substantially less than what the US distributor was charging, but I'm not sure that is still the case.

Demeyere is excellent but very heavy - a Calphalon pan from TJMaxx gets a lot more use. Note that Zwilling bought Demeyere about ten years ago, and that there was and perhaps still is some overlap in product lines.

We also have a mix of vintage cast iron and Le Creuset.