Thread: Microfiber Towels

Microfiber Towels

I just recently discovered MF towels for oil based staining, very nice compared to terry towels I have been using forever, Esp on rough sawn cedar timbers!

But the ones I have are pretty thin. Do they make different weights / thicknesses??

IMG_0828.jpg
    WoodsShop

Check Amazon. There are some very thick ones for washing cars that are too expensive to use for finishes, to packages of cheap ones that are better than one might expect. Many different sizes and thicknesses.

Great now I need to find out the diff thicknesses.
    WoodsShop

The thickest ones I have are made by Chemical Guys, but the ones I use the most are just the big packs of Amazon basics. Search for Chemical Guys microfiber, and you will see what they have. We only use the nice ones for washing vehicles. They make some Really thick ones for glass cleaning. The choices are pretty endless.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-10-2022 at 7:55 PM.

Good tip Tom, I contacted them with a few questions.
    WoodsShop

Joe, check out https://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html, you will see more microfiber cloths than you care to look at.

I am just a happy customer of Autogeek for my car detailing needs.

Auto Geeks and Chemical Guys both carry nice towels and I have a few from each. For me these Costco microfiber towels are every bit as good as the fancy high end towels at a fraction of the cost: https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100356999.html

~$0.50 is hard to beat for a quality single ply microfiber towel. For a single ply microfiber towel they are quite thick but they aren't near as thick as a double ply microfiber towel though.

Both my Daughter and I love these Costco microfiber towels as bath room wash cloths because they are so soft and absorbent.

imageService (1).jpg
    You can purchase them in any color you desire as long as you desire Yellow!

We have a few packs of 36 cloths and always wash all of our microfiber towels together without any other cotton items. I assume that if you are using them for oil based stains that you are disposing of them instead of washing them and reusing them?
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-11-2022 at 2:22 PM.

+1 on the Costco towels, occasionally they go on sale so they are even cheaper. If you are a heavy user you can order 324 towels for $150.

Yeah see I didn't know they had double ply, that's what I need I bet, to soak up the excess stain after letting the timbers soak for 15 min.
    WoodsShop

So... Am I the only one wondering, are you advocating microfiber cloths for all staining, not just outdoor timber oils? Logic suggests the fibers of either terry or microfiber would leave streaks (?) .

OK I went to amazon looking for double ply, but none of them list the single or double, so how do you know which ones are double?
    WoodsShop

Some of them are thicker weaves too. There is a tremendous variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    OK I went to amazon looking for double ply, but none of them list the single or double, so how do you know which ones are double?
    Any microfiber towel that is quilted is most likely going to be double ply. All of my double ply microfiber towels have a trim piece sewn around the perimeter of the towel to cover the two pieces sewn together.

The double ply microfiber towels that I own are all quite big and made for drying off the car to prevent water spots. Double ply towels are also quite a bit more expensive than the single ply towels.

If you are a Costco member then I would suggest that you look at the yellow Costco towels. They have a quite thick weave compared to other cheap microfiber towels. If you aren't a Costco member I doubt it would be worth the trouble to acquire them. I don't completely understand your application other than wiping excess stain off of rough saw wood. I am not sure what a double ply towel will buy you in your application. When drying a car with a double ply towel I can usually dry a good portion of the car with one side of the towel and then flip it over and dry the rest of the car with the other side. It doesn't seem like water migrates from one layer to the other layer that well hence flipping the towel over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    So... Am I the only one wondering, are you advocating microfiber cloths for all staining, not just outdoor timber oils? Logic suggests the fibers of either terry or microfiber would leave streaks (?) .
    For the most part I try to stay away from staining wood. If I want a dark finish I usually start with a darker wood. I know this isn't practical for all applications though. When I do stain finished pieces they are always sanded and not in the rough. I use a ready supply of my old undershirts for applying and removing the stain... again not a recommendation for the OP.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-12-2022 at 4:17 AM.