Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Chestnut update: maybe next year

Blog Entries

American Chestnut update: maybe next year

I’ve been watching the efforts of the American Chestnut Foundation for a long time. The link below suggests that the seedlings of the Darling58 tree might be generally available late next year

https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/progress-report/2021.htm

The darling58 is somewhat controversial. There are people like me that would like to plant a couple of trees. On the other side are some powerful environmental groups. They don’t have a problem with releasing the genetically modified American Chestnut. They do have a problem with the slippery slope. The big logging and paper companies are waiting in the wings with GMO trees that they want to plant. And there are others. There’s some sort of something attacking the worlds bananas and scientists are frantically working on a solution there.

Thanks for the update. I’d definitely plant a dozen or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I’ve been watching the efforts of the American Chestnut Foundation for a long time. The link below suggests that the seedlings of the Darling58 tree might be generally available late next year

https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/progress-report/2021.htm

The darling58 is somewhat controversial. There are people like me that would like to plant a couple of trees. On the other side are some powerful environmental groups. They don’t have a problem with releasing the genetically modified American Chestnut. They do have a problem with the slippery slope. The big logging and paper companies are waiting in the wings with GMO trees that they want to plant. And there are others. There’s some sort of something attacking the worlds bananas and scientists are frantically working on a solution there.

The folks on a 'Tube channel I watch (County View Acres) have a whole bunch of chestnut trees planted on their property. I think they are in Indiana. I'm not clear on the variety, however.

If I had the land, I'd cheerfully plant some chestnut trees. Could maybe support one on the south property line here, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim, there are some surviving American Chestnut trees. Some are well out of the range of the tree and simply didn’t catch the disease. Some were thought to be blight resistant and were investigated. Then there’s the Asian chestnut which isn’t as large but is blight resistant. The American Chestnut Foundation has been crossing and back-crossing the Asian tree with the American tree hoping to wind up with a blight resistant, mostly American, tree.

The folks in NY came late to the party. They simply grabbed a gene from some wheat, spliced into the American Chestnut that’s Darling58. Ok, I’m sure it was a lot harder but you get the idea. With the stroke of their CRISPR pen, they produced a tree that is an American Chestnut tree in all respects but one.

the chestnut blight is kind of sneaky. The tree is fine until its about 15 years old. Then it Devon’s cantors that eventually girdle the tree. The above ground part dies but the root system is fine so the tree sprouts again and the cycle is borne.

Blog Entries
    This update is particularly important to me. We are doing some construction that will require removal of a couple of trees. I would very much like to plant a couple of chestnuts. The house is an 1860 farm house and I would like to plant trees that are more period authentic. Some chestnuts and some hickories would be ideal. Right now, I’m not sure that any trees on the property are indigenous.

Hickories make a mess. I don't mind them in the woods, but I don't want any in a yard.

How'd things work out with the disease resistant American Elm varieties that were developed? I planted one briefly but it was damaged in a storm, and I lost interest.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    How'd things work out with the disease resistant American Elm varieties that were developed? I planted one briefly but it was damaged in a storm, and I lost interest.
    Huh? I didnt know there was a Dutch elm resistant tree. Thanks for the heads up.
    I just searched and it appears that there are a number of disease resistant varieties with varying success.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 07-10-2022 at 7:39 PM.

I read years ago that all banana farms plant are one single variety so any disease can kill all the commercial plants.
    Bill D

I'm right at the northern range for the chestnut. If they do become available I will try to plant a few on my land. I have a small stand of popular I would like to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I read years ago that all banana farms plant are one single variety so any disease can kill all the commercial plants.
    Bill D
    That's the risk with monoculture. I dimly remember an issue with a widely used genetic variant (I guess that's the right word) in U.S. seed corn. Here's an article about it, the abstract is pretty short. There's a lesson here that goes beyond corn I think.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFile...f%20Blight.pdf

I'd love to get one or more of those trees. A single, well-characterized, intentionally made change is far less likely to have unanticipated or untoward consequences that the "traditional" methods of applying radiation and chemical mutagens to induce an unknown number of unknown mutations and then selecting out progeny that have a property that you like with no regulatory requirements to characterize the outcome. Similarly, backcrossing to an Asian tree, unless done for a large number of generations (many decades for trees) leaves you with a plant with significant non-native genetic content that may or may not support the critical native insect populations.

Having worked most of my career on the genetics of resistance in other systems I am concerned about the robustness of any single gene resistance trait. The selection pressure to overcome it will be huge, and Mother Nature usually finds a way. If they had two or more blocks I'd be a lot happier.

Those of us who are old enough grew up eating a different banana (Gros Michel) than the Cavendish bananas that dominate the world today-- we've already (recently--1950's) seen the world's commercial banana production wiped out by fungal disease. Now we'll get to see it again, in all likelihood. It's a shame because there are actually quite a few interesting bananas out there; we could have more diversity in our supply.

As I understand it, all the plantation bananas are actually clones of one tree, as the seeds (little black spots inside the banana) are sterile. They cut off shoots from a tree and plant them to get another tree.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    That's the risk with monoculture. …
    And if memory serves, it was a similar focus on 1 variety that led to the Irish potato famine - spreading into the Hebrides as well. (Between starvation and emigration, Ireland cut her population by ~half.)

What is/was the climate range of American Chestnuts? Which zones could they grow in? I'm likely too far south, but I'd love to plant one some day also.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.