Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Chestnut update: maybe next year

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    What is/was the climate range of American Chestnuts? Which zones could they grow in? I'm likely too far south, but I'd love to plant one some day also.
    Alan,
    the native range seems to straddle Appalachia. A quick google search suggest that you are out of luck. I’m in the DC area which is right on the edge of the native range.

I still want a tree for the history. I want a hickory too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    … I want a hickory too.
    Hickories grow like weeds around here - it would be easy to transplant a small one, best done while dormant.

I’ve transplanted larger trees too with help from the backhoe and tractor or skid steer. I moved a good sized paulownia to the horse pasture some years back. I cut the top out of it so it would spread out instead of grow tall and now it’s a nice shade tree for the horses.

Stick a few fresh Hickory nuts right under the surface of the ground, and you will have all you want. I transplanted a White Oak sapling years ago with a 320 excavator I had working here, and it's about 35 feet tall now, a foot in diameter, and looks like it will grow into a nice shade tree between the house and the barn.

For me, Hickory trees are only slightly behind Sweet Gums as being the worst yard trees, as far as making messes go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Stick a few fresh Hickory nuts right under the surface of the ground, and you will have all you want. I transplanted a White Oak sapling years ago with a 320 excavator I had working here, and it's about 35 feet tall now, a foot in diameter, and looks like it will grow into a nice shade tree between the house and the barn.

For me, Hickory trees are only slightly behind Sweet Gums as being the worst yard trees, as far as making messes go.
    As I recall Box Elder is bad about dropping branches as well. Hickories are messy. I have a tree line of mostly soft maples on my west property line. They are messy enough. They give good shade mid afternoon on though so I will deal with them.

Aren’t Chestnuts messy?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Just joined the American Chestnut Foundation to get onto the priority list for acquiring one of these trees when they are released. These trees, until recently, were a keystone species for supporting wildlife in our forests. I can put up with a little mess to help bring them back.

Blog Entries
    I have planted several dozen Chestnuts from the University's Agri Forestry farm. I think they are an old fashion variety. The farm is very close by. They have a fun Chestnut event each year.
    Missouri Chestnut Roast Festival | The Center for Agroforestry
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-19-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice