Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help chipmunks in my basement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You really need to add a coma to the title of the thread. What kind of help do these squirrels need? Do they have substance abuse or emotional problems? Or do you just need to buy them pine nuts and provide water. Man, Pine nuts cost a lot, I wish they grew on trees.
    Bill D.

https://www.facebook.com/socalsquirrel/
    That was also my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    That's why I suggested something that might keep them from coming in in the first place...

Another way to keep them from coming in, is put food and water OUT for them...

If they don't need to come in, they likely won't

If it works, just keep moving the food farther away from the house...
    One of my uncles tried this. It just brought more around for the "welcome wagon."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My father was a bit odd. When he had problems with chipmunks getting into his house he tried to stop them but each attempt to block their access was rewarded with them making a new way to get in. Finally he took two bricks and wrapped them in aluminum foil. He used an old electrical cord with one wire going to each brick. The bricks were places just far enough apart just inside the hole they were using. They could squeeze through the gap but not without touching the foil. It worked and he didn't burn down his house. I wouldn't suggest doing it though. Reading this brought up the memory and a laugh.

Alex that reminds me I used to hear adds on the radio all the time for "rat zapper". An electric rat trap, but it would send a text when it caught one etc.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    My father was a bit odd. When he had problems with chipmunks getting into his house he tried to stop them but each attempt to block their access was rewarded with them making a new way to get in. Finally he took two bricks and wrapped them in aluminum foil. He used an old electrical cord with one wire going to each brick. The bricks were places just far enough apart just inside the hole they were using. They could squeeze through the gap but not without touching the foil. It worked and he didn't burn down his house. I wouldn't suggest doing it though. Reading this brought up the memory and a laugh.
    This has happened a few times in my shop:

Electric Mouse Trap.jpg

The mouse buys the farm when it touches the grounded, metal mounting hardware and the hot side of the line. If my memory is working this has happened three times in the last twelve years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Reminds me of years ago a co-worker was having trouble with his neighbors dogs. If his kids left a toy, their boots, or anything out they would take them. He couldn't feed and water his dog because they would eat the food he put out. Being a farm boy and all I brought him an electric fence charger and explained to him how to do it. His neighbors never knew what happened but their dogs quit coming over. A boot or toy or food bowl with a hot wire on it and they let out a "yip" and ran for home with their tail tucked. After a couple weeks he gave it back to me and said problem solved. Some might think this to be cruel but it didn't do anything permanent to the dogs. The neighbors weren't interested in controlling their animals and it was an unincorporated area so no regulations. Livestock have been controlled this way for years.

Jim 50/50 chance and he appears to be on the hot side of the outlet. If he was on the other side there would be no problem.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Yep.

jtk

I had a dog that loved to chew things until she chewed the end of an extension cord that was plugged in.

I mount traps on a piece of wood and staple several inches of cardboard to the sides. Traps are much more effective if you can control the direction of approach