Thread: Help me choose between these two used DCs...

Help me choose between these two used DCs...

Hello, I'm debating between a used:

(Asking $200) Grizzly G1029, 2HP, 12" steel impeller, 1100CFM

(Asking $150) Delta 50-850, 1.5HP, I've heard the impeller could be 11, 12, or 13" as they made 3 different versions, and 1200 CFM

I know manufacturers have different ways of determining and inflating CFM, and 0.5 HP is not a huge differnce one way or the other, but considering those are 2 decent companies (both DCs are the older models from the 90s) I find it odd that the Grizzly has more HP and 12" impeller, but less CFM.

Having said that which one would you all choose?
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are both 12 amps so I bet the same HP regardless of what the label says.
    Bill. D.

Replacement filters

Compare the costs of replacement filters
    Brian

The Delta 50-850 is wired for 110V and pulls 12A at 110V.

The Grizzly G1029 can only be used with 220V and pulls 12A at 220V (which would be the equivalent of 24A at 110V).

Based on this, I think the Delta is only going to have an 11" impeller because anything larger would require more HP and more current to be able to pull that much air.

If you have the ability to plug this into a 220V outlet, I would go with the Grizzly because you know what you are getting. The Grizzly looks a bit newer and a bit better condition. The Grizzly hose is a bit too long. I would take that Grizzly hose and cut it down some then re mount it (make it look like the Delta hose). This will give you a slightly more efficient air pathway and give you a slight increase in performance (not much, but every little bit counts here).

If you only have 110V outlet, then your only choice is the Delta.

Oh, also, the Grizzly G1029 "advertises" 1550CFM (1600CFM in the manual), but I bet it's really only 1200CFM at the impeller with no hoses attached (which is typical for 2HP 12" impeller DC).

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...ollector/g1029

The Delta with 1-1/2HP and 11" impeller is going to be 1100CFM at the impeller with no hoses.

Even so, please realize that you are only going to get about 350-400 CFM at the machine with 4" hoses. I still would go towards the Grizzly because I think it will give you a bit more static pressure (if you can swing 220V).

Grizzly 100% . Bigger impeller , it will move more air than the slightly smaller delta will . That is the very blower I built my cyclone with . Dust Deputy XL , cannister filter , works very well in my small space (600 sq. ft. ) .

I have the Grizzly version and with a cyclone and external exhaust (no filter, 6” pipe) it works awesome. Definitely pulls 10+ amps at 220v.

I have a short run (probably 14’) of 5” steel pipe with 2 sweeping elbows and it moves 1,000 to 1,100 CFM at the end of the pipe. I borrowed a flow meter when I installed the system. I think not having an exhaust filter limits the back pressure. I read that the common DC impeller design is most affected by back pressure and designed my system as such.

Just as an aside, neither will ever get even close to 1100 or 1200 CFM in the real world as you surmise. That marketing number is pretty much "free air", not with hose/duct, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have the 50-850 and added 1 micron felt bags from Penn State 20 years ago. It’s been a solid DC for me but is a one machine at a time DC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Haha yep my numbers are at the end of the 5” portion, which doesn’t include short flex hose lengths or tool DC efficiency. Works great though.

Blog Entries
    I've had the Grizzly G1029 for around 20 years. I didn't use it much for 5-10 years of that. It is still running very well.
    I recently upgraded it to a cyclone and 6" ducting from a Thein baffle and 4" duct with quite a nice increase in flow (25-50% increase).
    The flow is 250-500 cfm (depending on which piece of equipment).
    This flow is very good for my range of equipment in a one-man shop (Unisaw table saw, 24" bandsaw, 22" drum sander, 13" Dewalt planer, router table, lathe and a couple of utility ports for a floor vacuum and one for my worktable sanding, shaper origin, routing and such).

DC w_Cyclone.jpg

Get both. They're cheap.

When you're doing something dusty, you can hook up both to a machine. I have a little blower like this as a supplement to central dust collection.

Throw the bags out, they are worse than useless. They slow down collection, and spread fine dust all over. Just shoot the dust out through the wall into a bin.