Thread: Brief Initial Review: North Star 53009 Air Compressor

Brief Initial Review: North Star 53009 Air Compressor

A week or so ago, I posted asking for advice on a small air compressor. You all gave me a lot of help and I appreciated it. (My goals were smaller physically and quieter than my old BORG 20 gallon 2 hp, oil-less, but still enough to do the basic things i do.) I originally planned to buy a 2 gallon California Compressor but then found a Makita 2 gallon at the BORG (MAC210Q). That Makita was a lovely machine - quiet and solidly built - but at 2 SCFM with a 2 gallon tank, she couldnt keep up with an air gun. So I went looking for something a little bigger. I settled on a NORTH STAR 53009 from Northern Tool.

This is a 1.5 hp, 4 cfm @90psi machine with an 8 gal tank. It cost $469+taxes. LINK I chose it over a slightly bigger California Compressor because it just seemed more solid. (Time will tell.) Anyway, I just set it up, ran the break in procedure and used it a bit. Here are my initial impressions.
    * Pretty good warranty. 4 yrs, what's covered looks reasonable.
    * The instructions are clear.
    * This is NT's house brand. Unlike the BORG, NT actually stocks some replacement parts.
    * Machine came well packaged. Very little assembly to do.
    * Physically, it's smaller than I expected. It's only 34" tall. It's a tiny little thing.
    * Seems solidly built.
    * Appears to have a powder coat finish (not sure, but it's more rugged than regular paint).
    * The wheels are steel rims with hard rubber tires. They are attached like lawnmower wheels. (Many small compressors have what I felt were cheapo wheels/axles. So while not a deciding factor, it was a nice bonus.)
    * The drain valve is easy to reach, on the right side of the bottom, near the rim.
    * Reasonably quiet. The spec says 70 db. I didnt measure it, but I thought the noise level was about right. 70 - 80 db seems common for a "quiet branded" compressor with 4-5 scfm output. I can work next to it without issue. (My old BORG machine was a screaming meemee.)
    * Break-in was easy, just a 20 min run with the drain valve open.
    * After break-in, the machine filled its 8 gallon tank in 118 secs.
    * I was able to run a blowgun at 90psi regulator pressure and the machine kept up. (The tank pressure dropped below 90psi of course. It held steady at about 50 psi. I dont think that's going to be enough to run an impact wrench to rotate tires, but I seldom do that myself.)

So, time will tell, but first impressions are good.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-09-2022 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

NT has some nice stuff, I just wish there was a local one. Their shipping can get pricey on stuff that doesn't have free shipping. Their house brands almost always had Honda engines on them vs Chinese knockoff. At some point I'm going to have to replace the compressor in my garage and NT has several different lines, from Quincy to their Northstar brand that would tempt me.

Curious what you found to be more substantial on the NT over the CAT 2hp ?

At a glance, the CAT seems to be better in all regards except price. 30% more cfm, bigger tank, better protection for the pump and filters, ect….

Good review. I was wanting a Cal Air mostly for the low noise but am waiting right now. I have a set of nail guns that I need to power when I ever use them again but that is easy. My biggest delay is I want to get a HVLP gun and will need to size the compressor to its needs. I have a pancake that is t0o loud and leaks so I guess I need to put more effort into my research.

If you want "really quiet" look into JUN-AIR compressors. They make about as much noise as a refrigerated drinking fountain, but expect to pay for the quiet.
    The first JUN-AIR compressor that I hooked up and turned on was in a printing press room. I thought it was broken, because it wasn't making any sound, but the light was on. Then I saw the gauge rising. Putting my ear down next to it I could hear that it definitely was running. Amazingly quiet! I now have one that I've used at trade shows while demonstrating power carving.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Curious what you found to be more substantial on the NT over the CAT 2hp ?

At a glance, the CAT seems to be better in all regards except price. 30% more cfm, bigger tank, better protection for the pump and filters, ect….
    I found the prices to be comparable - both around $470. The NT just seemed more solid to me Dave. (Full disclosure: I couldnt put "hands on" either machine before buying, so there is some subjectivity here.) One example was the relative quality of wheels/tires - steel rims, heavy rubber tires. I was also initially concerned about how the handle brackets attached - but they are very solidly welded, no corners cut. Both of these are minor details, but I took them to be small indicators of their overall design philosophy. I also did a lot of reading - articles, reviews, etc - and came away feeling like the CAT had a few more quality and customer service issues. You have to "filter" reviews and review websites, right? Can't believe everything. But even after doing so, I still came away feeling like the NT was better made, for the size of compressor I wanted. Even so, the slightly bigger CAT was still in the running. The tie breaker for me was the 4 year warranty. But again, I'm a just hobbyist woodworker, not a pro and I could live with the slightly smaller machine.

And if I'm wrong and this thing craps out at 4 years and 1 day, I'll probably buy the latest model of that CAT.

Have a good one!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-10-2022 at 10:44 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Good review. I was wanting a Cal Air mostly for the low noise but am waiting right now. I have a set of nail guns that I need to power when I ever use them again but that is easy. My biggest delay is I want to get a HVLP gun and will need to size the compressor to its needs. I have a pancake that is t0o loud and leaks so I guess I need to put more effort into my research.

None of the units in this thread have anywhere near enough CFM to run an HVLP gun. Not even close.

You’re going to need a really powerful pump to do that , and then your going to need a moisture and oil filter and perhaps a dryer if you’re really looking for a good finish. A turbine setup is usually better way to go for non-production applications. And an AAA - air assisted airless for smaller production shops.

Spraying finishes with an HPLV conversion gun puts you into large compressor territory. You not only need a compressor that can supply the needed SCFM, but a larger air tank is also desired to keep the pump from running constantly. For best results "at a minimum", something like the IR GarageMate with its 25 gallon tank and ability to run on a dedicated 120v 20a circuit or more typically at least a 3hp, 60 gallon compressor is a good idea for spraying finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From a power standpoint I can make anything work. I prefer 120V and wheels so I can move around for nail guns if needed.

From a power standpoint I can make anything work. I prefer 120V and wheels so I can move around for nail guns if needed.
    So the IR GarageMate or similar would be worth considering in that case as they do support 120v power. Just keep in mind they draw amps, so a 20 amp circuit is best and if shared with other things, those other things should not be running while the compressor is.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So the IR GarageMate or similar would be worth considering in that case as they do support 120v power. Just keep in mind they draw amps, so a 20 amp circuit is best and if shared with other things, those other things should not be running while the compressor is.
    That IR will be iffy for running many HVLP guns , some of which need 10-15cfm to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    That IR will be iffy for running many HVLP guns , some of which need 10-15cfm to run.
    True, but careful shopping for a gun including considering LVLP can solve that issue. Unfortunately, there are quite a few folks who kinda have to go for a 120v compressor, so something like the GarageMate or similar is about the best they are going to get relative to versatility. So many compromises in the world to keep it turning!
    --