Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with this Nagura?

What do I do with this Nagura?

When I purchased my first water stones, the idea was that I would use them to Sharpen kitchen knives and I had no idea what to do with them. Sharpening wood working tools were not even a remote thought in my mind. I had no idea, so I called some guy who sells stuff (do not remember how I found him online) and he suggested three stones. Now I am going from memory so I might have some of this wrong, but,

1. Bester Bester 500 grit super ceramic coarse
    2. Bester 1200 Super Ceramic Water Stone
    3. Shapton 5000 K0704 Enzi-Super (Professional, Wine)

The seller also suggested that I purchase a natural Nagura (?? name) stone. The idea was that I should rub the Nagura on the Shapton to raise a slurry and then sharpen with the slurry.

This never worked well for me so I simply stopped using it. If I look at the Shapton FAQ it states:

https://shapton.co.jp/en/faq/
    Do Shapton stones come with a Nagura Stone?
    No. Shapton stones do not need a Nagura Stone, and lapping with a Nagura Stone will leave the surface rough and ragged.
    Perhaps I am remembering incorrect, but I am pretty sure I was told to use the Natural Nagura (I remember he said it was Natural and you can purchase a non-natural stone, but the natural is better) with the Shapton and not one of the Bester stones (that I gave away because I prefer to not have to soak my stones).

Any other uses for this Nagura stone? Probably not worth enough to even sell it, will probably just post it free to a new home but figured I would check to see if there was some other use for the stone that I am missing. I do own and use many types of stones such as Arkansas, Washita, Ceramics, Diamond, India, and Crystolon (to name some of what I own and yes I own other types as well), but, I mostly use my Norton glass or Professional stones. I do NOT own any Japanese natural stones other than this Nagura.

A few pictures of the Nagura.

nagura_01.jpg nagura_02.jpg nagura_03.jpg

I have 6 Shapton stones from 320 up to 12,000 and I use Nagura stones with most of them, with in my opinion, great success. Especially with the 5000 grit wine stone which glazes over much too easily. But a quick rub with a 4000 grit Nagura removes the glaze and I'm back in business in a few seconds. So I disagree with Shapton. I have 1000, 4000, 8000 and 12,000 Nagura stones and use them every time I get out my Shaptons. They keep the surface clean and I think help tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I have 6 Shapton stones from 320 up to 12,000 and I use Nagura stones with most of them, with in my opinion, great success. Especially with the 5000 grit wine stone which glazes over much too easily. But a quick rub with a 4000 grit Nagura removes the glaze and I'm back in business in a few seconds. So I disagree with Shapton. I have 1000, 4000, 8000 and 12,000 Nagura stones and use them every time I get out my Shaptons. They keep the surface clean and I think help tremendously.
    makes me wonder about the "grit" for my Nagura stone. I have long since disposed of (probably) the original paperwork.... Well, perhaps I should check my filing cabinets, but it is probably a big unknown.

In 2010 I purchased an 8000 grit water stone that came with a Nagura stone from www.sharpeningsupplies.com. I inquired as to what the little white stone was for and seller instructed me to rub the Nagura stone onto the 8000 grit stone to create a slurry before sharpening. I have not compared the result of sharpening either with or without the Nagura slurry however.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    In 2010 I purchased an 8000 grit water stone that came with a Nagura stone from www.sharpeningsupplies.com. I inquired as to what the little white stone was for and seller instructed me to rub the Nagura stone onto the 8000 grit stone to create a slurry before sharpening. I have not compared the result of sharpening either with or without the Nagura slurry however.
    And to reduce the suction on the stone. When an 8000 wet stone meets the flat back of a western chisel, it makes a tough suction that will slide the stone around on the bench if you don't have to blocked somehow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c-t...FKnQyBObytr09A

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    makes me wonder about the "grit" for my Nagura stone. I have long since disposed of (probably) the original paperwork.... Well, perhaps I should check my filing cabinets, but it is probably a big unknown.
    Honestly, I think the 'grit' of Nagura stones is not the point even though I have, over the years, purchased Nagura stones that somewhat match the grit my Shaptons. I have perhaps succumbed to American marketing. The point of a Nagura stone as shown in the video, is to clean any glaze that may form and provide a slurry that aids the sharpening process. It is quite possible that traditional Japanese woodworkers use only one Nagura stone on ALL their sharpening stones. Perhaps the Nagura 'grit' is way above or below any of their stones. Perhaps it's job is to clean the glaze and gently break down the stone being used to allow the stone to do it's work.

There are those here who have the answers and I suspect they have already weighed in previously.

But yeah. I'd start using it and see what you think.

Blog Entries
    But yeah. I'd start using it and see what you think.
    Many frivolous discussions can be avoided, time saved and answers reached by this simple method.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Many frivolous discussions can be avoided, time saved and answers reached by this simple method.

jtk

I never had any luck with it and I never liked it so it said on used after I tried to use it for the first year which is why I am especially since the manufacture recommended that I not use the extra stone.

So, I did try it. I could not understand at all but it did and the truly did not seem to help with striction. So I figured I would ask her what people did with them

So not decided if I'm just going to give this tone away, throw in the trash, just let it sit.

If it is your inclination to throw it away, I would be willing to pay to ship it to me.

Not sure why exactly as I already have many Naguras, but for the cost of shipping, I would take it.

Blog Entries
    I never had any luck with it and I never liked it so it said on used after I tried to use it for the first year which is why I am especially since the manufacture recommended that I not use the extra stone.

So, I did try it. I could not understand at all but it did and the truly did not seem to help with striction. So I figured I would ask her what people did with them

So not decided if I'm just going to give this tone away, throw in the trash, just let it sit.
    Sounds like a good reason to pass it on to someone else or toss it.

I have never had a Nagura to use on my water stones. Though at times one stone has been rubbed against another to create a slurry. It didn't seem any better than the slurry that is made from working an edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    If it is your inclination to throw it away, I would be willing to pay to ship it to me.

Not sure why exactly as I already have many Naguras, but for the cost of shipping, I would take it.
    Message me in two weeks.
    I should be back from travel by then

Message me in two weeks.
    I should be back from travel by then
    We didn't convince you? Have you thought about taking a class with a serious Asian hand tool user?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    We didn't convince you? Have you thought about taking a class with a serious Asian hand tool user?
    I expect if I took a class to learn how to use that particular stone they would probably suggest that I not use a water stone but the manufacturer says don't use the other with. Then I would need to buy even more stones and deal with another auction...

Blog Entries
    I expect if I took a class to learn how to use that particular stone they would probably suggest that I not use a water stone but the manufacturer says don't use the other with. Then I would need to buy even more stones and deal with another auction...
    A quote from the book of Sharpening 101, "if what you are doing works, stick with it until it doesn't."

jtk

I have a few "nagura" sized cheap Jnats that I cut up into chunks about that size -- 1"x3" or so, for use in the field when camping / bushcrafting.

I have a thing for natural whetstones -- usually I use Arks, but Jnats are nice in the field because water is more plentiful than oil. They just don't come in pocket sizes, so you have to cut them up yourself or find appropriately sized "nagura"