Thread: LN #5 1/2 Plane Received

LN #5 1/2 Plane Received

With much surprise and glee I received my LN 5 1/2 jack plane yesterday after only a two day wait. Been wanting to do this for a very long time (years). As time passed, I watched the price of other 5 1/2's go up and decided the price differential is no longer worth the wait. I initially inquired about the backorder time as so many tool makers are experiencing supply chain issues BUT LN said the 5 1/2 was in stock. As expected the craftsmanship of this plane is at the highest level. Also glad to support an American business.

Remember to smile every time that you use it

Blog Entries
    That plane has become the one I use as much as a #4, and a block plane. I love everything about it.

I received a LN 51/2 for my retirement gift about 5 years ago. One of my favorite planes. I have always believed the the #5 and #5 1/2 are underrated. I use them for smoothing, jointing and rough work.

That's great Fritz. I'm a bit jealous. I really like the heft of a 5 1/2. That said, I'm not sure I'd use one very often as I have other planes that I use for smoothing and flattening. In terms of utility, a #5 makes the most sense for my work. Like you, the high cost of vintage versions had me on the cusp of a LN order, but a serendipitous bargain find in an antique store saved me for now. I'm curious what your most common use is for the 5 1/2?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

It is so great to have a tool that makes you smile when you pick it up and use it. I feel the same about my LN 4 1/2. It just feels good in my hand.

Here’s to many more years of enjoying Lie-Nielsen tools. I hope for smoother times ahead for them.