Thread: Tool sugestion

Tool sugestion

Several years ago I picked up a machinist bench vice at a yard sale. I mounted it outside on a table. It works nice to hold metal for wire brushing, painting, welding. It sees a little wood working as well. I made sure the screw is hidden up inside the support slide so it is out of the rain and weld splatter. At first it was heavy enough to not bolt down. I saw several at the flea market this week for under $10 an inch. 3-5 inches is plenty heavy.
    Since it is an old hunk I do not feel bad about abusing it this way.
    Bill D

You can make your vise portable so it can be stored inside and moved to your outside table in 60 seconds. One of my workbenches has two trailer hitch receivers installed so I can use multiple tools on my bench and switch them real quick. A standard 2" receiver (female) is mounted just under the table top at the edge. You bolt your vise to a male 2" square length of tubing. You can adjust the height and orientation real quick with a "T" shaped square tubing and by making custom fixtures if you have metal working equipment. I have 2" receivers mounted everywhere, on my truck, trailer, lawn mower, garden tractor, workbench and one in my shop mounted on the steel support pole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I see vises mounted on plumbers and welders trucks all the time. I would have a hard time exposing tools to the elements. It’s just not in my nature. I also couldn’t bring myself to deface a book. It’s how I was raised, I guess.

im not being judgmental, it’s my little phobia.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of keeping the smoke, fumes, and grit from metalworking out of the wood shop. I like Bills idea and Keiths designs and implementation look excellent.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I see vises mounted on plumbers and welders trucks all the time. I would have a hard time exposing tools to the elements. It’s just not in my nature. I also couldn’t bring myself to deface a book. It’s how I was raised, I guess.

im not being judgmental, it’s my little phobia.
    I agree, but since it was old and beat up to start with I am okay with it. Mine is too heavy to lug in and out so it lives outside. In 3-4 years little rust showing and it still works smoothly. I thought I would be greasing the screw by now.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I really had fun when our son asked for a vice. I got him a 6 inch Wilton. He was a bit annoyed that I had gone overboard. I have tried to trade him a downsize several times. He won't even consider parting with his vice now. It is set up so that it can be un ballasted and moved outside.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I agree, but since it was old and beat up to start with I am okay with it. Mine is too heavy to lug in and out so it lives outside. In 3-4 years little rust showing and it still works smoothly. I thought I would be greasing the screw by now.
    Bill D
    You expected rust?

Has it rained in California in the last 3-4 years?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The cheap HF vise rusted the anvil portion pretty quick after a few rains. The old school USA made vice not much in several years. It has rained 10" or so every year for the last few years. 15" is our "normal" here.
    In truth California normal is 1/2 or 1+1/2 of normal. There is almost never a "normal" rainfall season.
    Bill D