Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought an old Unisaw.... now I have to get it home

I bought an old Unisaw.... now I have to get it home

I'm living in one of those good news/bad news jokes, seemingly. I just won the bid tonight on a 1949 Unisaw from an online school auction. I've been looking for a cabinet saw to replace my Delta contractor saw, figuring it would work better and also take up less room. Here's a link to the saw:https://www.auctionsinternational.co...-unisaw-179627

The bad news side of things is that I got rear-ended by a hit-and-run driver last Sunday afternoon who bent the tongue on my trusty 5x8 Carry-On trailer so that I am not able to use it unless or until I get a new tongue. I got their license plate and they have been ticketed, but it's going to take their insurance company a while to make up their mind to pay out, I guess. I'm going to try tomorrow to order a spare tongue at Tractor Supply, since that was who Carry-On recommended as a dealer for their parts. Unless I can get a tongue pretty quickly I will need to figure out a way to get the saw into the back of either my Subaru Outback or my Chevy/BlueBird mini school bus.

The bus door is about 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall, but it's a good ways from the ground. The car trunk is smaller, but lower. I imagine I can take the top off, but even so I expect the cabinet will be pretty heavy. It would have been easy with my trailer. I could just have rolled it on with a hand truck, up the built in ramp/tailgate, and the floor is only a foot or so off the ground. My understanding is that the Unisaw didn't change that much over the years, so I imagine that any moving experience with that model of saw would be applicable to mine, even if it was a lot newer one. I'll be grateful for any advice.

Rent a U-Haul trailer. I've hauled several woodworking machines in them, some far heavier than a Unisaw.

I hope the saw is in good shape. I sure like my 1954 Uni.

John

Do you have a Uhaul near you? You should be able to rent a 5x9 trailer with a ramp for about $30. That's generally what I do as I don't have a place to store a trailer.

Thank you both, that's a good idea. There was a U-Haul place in town last I knew, and I'll call tomorrow and find out.

If you take the top off the base, look out for shims which may between the top and the base. Record the positions of each shim so you can reassemble everything correctly in your shop.

Also look into the cost of renting a pickup with a lift gate.

+1 one on the shims. I experienced that mistake myself
    Good Luck
    Aj

I moved my unisaw about 25 years ago using a snow machine trailer that tilted. I used a hand winch to winch it up on to the trailer. Worked great but then it had wheeled base. I'd also check for insects, spiders etc on the base. I manged to bring spiders to my new garage and still can't get rid of them.

Unbolt and remove the fence rails before tipping it. Too easy to snag and bend things. I just walked it to the back of my pickup and flipped it upside down into the truck. May have used some 2x6 as a ramp. I think it is around 600 pounds? If you take off the top (four bolts) there is no longer a flat surface to set it upside down.
    I believe each side wing is 60 pounds. I would guess 120 for the top
    Bill D

Nothing to offer but congrats on the saw. I had a ‘48 which over the years I replaced the arbor, motor & electrics. It is a great saw. Good luck with it.

A Unisaw of that vintage should be around 300lbs. Be sure to remove the motor first as it's about 70lbs on its own. To remove the motor you should first tip the saw on its left side (from the oper position) to make it easier - the correct-vintage manual from vintagemachinery.org will help you in that regard. Then four bolts to remove the table (though I've found it easier to remove the wings first) and it should be manageable. Bring a helper.

Zachary, what Bill said. I have hauled at least 5-6 Unisaws home this way. upside down in a pickup works like a charm. No need to pull it apart, except for the fence. I back up to the saws and tip them on. Just keep rotating until it is upside down. Usually put a piece of plywood or card board under them. A couple rachet straps around the cabinet one holding it from moving forward and one keeping it from moving back. Uhaul may actually rent a pickup cheaper than a trailer, I would load the saw the same way in either one. My reason is it far more stable because they are top heavy machines. Good luck.

The smallest UHaul trailer is inexpensive to rent and more than large enough to do the job. It's also not far off the ground so it's reasonable getting heavy things on and off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The smallest uhaul trailer is 14.95 a day plus tax and insurance. Much cheaper then home depot. Check the website for actual dimensions, the 4 x7 trailer is under four feet inside.
    One theory is you will adjust the top after setup anyway so why not remove it before shipping? At the very least I would remove any fence and side wings.
    Last week the single axle 5x8 trailer cost $28 for 24 hours with tax and insurance in California, Probably less in other states.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-08-2022 at 3:00 PM.

I was able to order a new tongue for my trailer today and Tractor Supply said it should be here within a week. Maybe I will be able to use my trailer after all, or at worst I can rent a trailer from U-Haul. I think the 4x7 would be big enough, but I don't know what selection of trailer sizes the local U-Haul franchisees would have on the lot on any particular day. We're in a pretty stagnant backwater here. I'm eager to see what I have bought. It looks like a single phase plug in the picture, so that seems hopeful.