Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New turner - advice on next steps

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nordyke View Post
    Thanks! The face-shield arrived today and is now in use.
    This is the [Like Button], which I would press if this forum software had it...
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Dont forget to tip your garbage handler. You turners make a lot of dust/chips
    Of the many tons of shavings that I have produced over the years I've never needed to tip any of it into the garbage. I have a long list of people on my waiting list who would like to be further up the list to use it as:

• mulch on their gardens and pot plants
    • the brown fraction in their compost
    • bedding for their horses, goats, chickens, etc.
    • weed suppression on their ground pathways

We do have a large curbside green bin service, so it would get recycled if it went in there, but why leave some family, friends and neighbours disappointed. In return, we get some eggs, fruit & veg and first offer on any tree that has or is about to come down. And, if the wood isn't suitable for woodturning it it can go into the firewood stack...
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Good advice and that is exactly what I am doing. Old 2 x 4s are ripped and being turned. Firewood logs are cut down on the bandsaw and turned between centers. Thanks to all that have responded. Good advice. I'm going to start a new thread with a different question so I hope the same sage advice is offered on that question as well. Thanks again.