Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink tank printers - if infrequently used

I've had an Epson tank type printer for several years and have never had a clog. It does get used almost every day.

The tank type printers are much less expensive to operate than the cartridge type printers.

I used all of the ink that came with the printer and am part way through the replacements that I purchased. And purchasing the ink is not that expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

No experience w/tank type printers in this century, but way back when I worked on a system that had an ABDick ink jet. Tank and a Constant Ink Jet type. CIJs squirt ink all the time when powered on. Droplets that don't get directed to the paper go into a trough and back to the tank. Now, this was a system log printer for a Collins Radio C8500 computer and ran 24/7, never shut off. The maker had no experience in that environment and we soon discovered that the ink got thick and missed dots after a few hours. So we just poured 'some' solvent into the tank every shift change. No measurement, just 'some'.

Not sure how the later implementations may handle evaporation, clogging etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    What is the ink tank printer being used for?.
    I bought the tank type because I was completely done with having to pay for new cartridges over and over and over and over and over, especially the newer ones that have actual expiration dates and "time out" even if there is plenty of ink in them. Printers are cheap. They make their money on the ink cartridges.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Epson 1270 bought used from a friend who made a living with it for years printing and selling photos at shows. Did excellent quality work till they stopped making catridges for it. They cost too much ahd heard guys ran bottles through flexible lines so no more cartridges. Havent had the time Epson told me the new stuff is better and had more ink colours. I dont know hard to believe it could be better than what this printer could do on the best photo papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Epson 1270 bought used from a friend who made a living with it for years printing and selling photos at shows. Did excellent quality work till they stopped making catridges for it. They cost too much ahd heard guys ran bottles through flexible lines so no more cartridges. Havent had the time Epson told me the new stuff is better and had more ink colours. I dont know hard to believe it could be better than what this printer could do on the best photo papers.
    Something along these lines?

http://www.inksystem.com/ciss/epson/...hoto_1270.html

I have no experience with that vendor.

no from memory they mcgivered up their own systems. That I have not seen before, thanks will take a good look. I learn more here than I did in school

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Lee said. Our experience with both ink printers and laser printers is exactly as he described. The low price per page is attractive but only if the printer gets regular use. If you have to change ink cartridges all the time, it’s more expensive.

I have no experience with the newer tank typ printers but I would imagine that the issues are the same.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 07-15-2022 at 8:18 AM.

whats the photo quality like. I cant imagine much better quality than what the 1270 could do and the guy who owned made a living from photos he had taken all over the world. His next printer I think cost 5-6k and could print massive size.

After years of struggling with ink jet printers, getting a LaserJet color printer that uses toner was the best decision I made. I've had the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw for a few years and its been great.

Toner is more expensive, but the printers that use toner tend to be better built than the consumer grade versions that use liquid ink.

Blog Entries
    Color laser printers are great for business applications printing stuff like graphics & documents, but I've never seen one yet that approaches even a mid level ink jet for photos. We print so little in the way of documents that I prefer to have a printer that will do a good job on photos as well.