Thread: Tool sales through Jim Bode

Tool sales through Jim Bode

Just inquiring if any of you have experience with Jim Bode Antique Tools? Specifically, have you sold tools through him?

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike, is there any reason you do not want to sell them here in the Classifieds or through ebay?

Jim Bode or any other tool seller will buy then sell with their percentage added on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have not sold through Mr. Bode. He does have a good reputation and I often browse his site just to escape from ordinary drudgery.

I did try an order a thing from him once. Like live lobster from JJ Hooks in Boston, Mr. Bode's tool ship to Alaska in first class airline seats, the ones with unlimited champagne included. In the lower 48 he has a good reputation. Along with the other 'people of the shipping asterisk' in AK, HI, Guam and PR; I can't justify buying from him. I love his site, good photography, interesting tools, but with the * = shipping outside the contiguous lower 48 included browsing his site is merely a diversion for me.

FWIW Patrick will ship USPS flat rate this week if the item will fit in a flat rate USPS box. Maybe not today, but within a few days. When I have to have live lobster, JJ Hooks is the only dealer I call. I know I am going to pay, but I also know they are going to look for spunky critters that are going to arrive here with a bad attitude and good flavor.

Do be advised, as Jim K already alluded, dealers need to buy below market to sell at market and keep the lights turned on. Doesn't matter if you are buying stocks or bonds or precious metals or gem stones or vintage tools, the dealer making the deals happen isn't working for free.

I have no beef with Jim. Between us, all of AK, HI, Guam and PR combined probably buy fewer wood working tools than say Oregon. There is not really (I think) any meaningful pressure on Jim B to add USPS to the shippers he already deals with. Still a great website to browse during a short lunch break on a busy day.

Many sellers have pretty much abandoned USPS for shipping anything of real value. Just not a reliable method and filing a claim for lost merchandise is nearly impossible.

if I ship 5 items via USPS at least one will never be seen again. Just saying.

Ron

Ron, I hear you. That is reason for my inquiry about Jim Bode, which begs the question, "How do you get the tools to him?"

Mike,

Are you looking to sell an entire collection at once? If you don’t want a hassle, then that makes sense. Otherwise, just post the tools in the classifieds. I’ve always found Jim Bodes prices to be way over what I would pay. I’ve always assumed that’s a function of his markup.

Thanks, Keegan. Ron's comments about shipping risks are relevant. He is a manufacturer, and is rightfully concerned about security of goods in transit.

I’ve not had an issue with USPS. Perhaps Ron has a problem with the local branch? I live in a larger city so maybe that helps. My wife sells items online so we ship maybe 20-30 items per month. Not a huge number, but enough that if we had a problem, we would notice.

I have plenty of experience with UPS and FedEx (so far my business has spent $40k in FedEx overnight delivery this year) Same story - no issues that are relevant here.

How expensive are the items? USPS offers a registered mail service. That’s how gold bullion is shipped.

Blog Entries
    I’ve not had an issue with USPS. Perhaps Ron has a problem with the local branch?
    Same here, my biggest problem with USPs has been caused by the shipper doing a poor job of packing. No matter what shipper is handling your package things get jostled and tossed about. If it isn't packed well, it is likely to not arrive well.

Fed Ex can be spotty due to many locally owned routes being run by contractors, not employees.

Also realize these can be high pressure jobs. You do not see many grey haired UPS drivers running around delivering packages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’m with Keegan and Jim. My preferred shipping method is via USPS. They seem to be the cheapest and most reliable. UPS would be my second option. FedEx used to be decent until they started using independent contractors, as Jim pointed out. In my experience FedEx is the only carrier that will drop off a package in plain sight at the front door if no one is home. It’s an open invitation to package thieves. I avoid them at all costs.

Yep, my UPS delivery guy changes every 2-3 years. I’ve also noticed my USPS delivery person doesn’t wear his uniform. I wonder if he is a contractor as well? Definitely a tough industry and not something I’d choose to do.