Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Persimmon rustlers

I would suggest that you and the neighbors cruise the farmers markets. If you see anyone selling persimmons just casually mention what has happened to yours. You are not accusing anyone, just letting people know that you have about had it with the situation. If the people at the market are growing their own I think they would be helpful. If they got them from a friend.
    Back in about ‘58 or so my friends and I climbed a fence and were liberating some apples. We weren’t bagging them up or anything, just a couple apples each. The farmer happened around the corner of the hedge and gave a shout and we were off. Tommy and I made it to the fence quickly, but Billy who had polio and had a bad leg and arm was slower. Just as he was clearing the fence the farmer laced him with a load of rock salt up his legs, butt and lower back. We had to soak him in the creek while the salt dissolved. We didn’t pick any more of that guys apples.

I think the LEO is saying you can set up a camera so it has a good view of license plates and faces regardless of the camera being on public property or not. I think he means the footage is legal to take and would be accepted in court. It would not be considered a peeping tom and not allowed in court.
    Of course if the cameras only field of view is into the females bathroom then probably not allowed.
    Bill D

My Cousin near Sand Diego says there are commercial avacado rustlers who take loaded bins at night with forklifts and semi trucks. Ranchers do not leave picked fruit on the property overnight. One bin can be worth over $1,000 years ago. I am sure it is higher now. Studies have shown trees near roads produce less ripe fruit.
    They also steal cactus and plant them in residential yards. The customers complain when they die six month latter because they did not take the roots.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    We have an Asian persimmon tree in our front yard. …
    We have dozens of persimmon trees, the native US type, Diospyros virginiana, also called White Ebony or American Ebony. I never heard of Asian Persimmons. (fantastic wood!)

What’s the difference?

i suppose the old fashioned steel-jawed bear trap would be out-of-the question . . . . but t'would be tempting . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Raccoons and Opossums love persimmons. Sorry for your loss. As John mentioned, the wood has some value and is used for golf clubs and mallets etc. The Asian variety is sold as a fruit tree.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 07-06-2022 at 8:15 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What’s the difference?
    my grandmother had an American persimmon tree and used to bring over bags of ripe fruit. Those were more like dates as I recall. The Asian (fuyu) persimmon looks like an orange apple but tastes more like a very firm pear. when we built our house we took down a tree and the city made us replace it or lose a significant bond. I chose a persimmon tree because I like trees that work for me.

My wife makes a nice purée that eats like apple sauce. Our daughter just announced that she’s pregnant with twins so we hope to purée the whole harvest for the babies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    i suppose the old fashioned steel-jawed bear trap would be out-of-the question . . . . but t'would be tempting . . . . .
    My six year old grandson suggested a motion detector that would activate sprinklers.

you could hire Harry Crumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12QN4YBZCy4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    My mind is like an "old fashioned steel-jawed bear trap."

Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well played, Jim. Well played.

Blog Entries
    Unless you post your property and create a physical barrier, local law enforcement will do nothing. The level of the offense is at best a misdemeanor which would get a slap on the wrist and a warning.

It doesn't take long for animals to strip a tree of fruit. There are probably a dozen or more raccoons and/or possums in your neighborhood that are fully aware of that tree and fruit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like signs

sign.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Unless you post your property and create a physical barrier, local law enforcement will do nothing. The level of the offense is at best a misdemeanor which would get a slap on the wrist and a warning.

It doesn't take long for animals to strip a tree of fruit. There are probably a dozen or more raccoons and/or possums in your neighborhood that are fully aware of that tree and fruit.
    If it's racoons there will be evidence left behind guaranteed.

You could set a simple alarm/trap. I had forgotten but a former co-worker had trouble with "kid's" stealing his kid's jack-o-lanterns off the front porch. He took a flash cube, an old style mouse trap, and a battery along with a strip of firecrackers. The jack-o-lantern sat on the "set" mouse trap. With some simple wiring it was a simple booby trap. He was asleep on the couch in the living room and was awakened to the fire crackers going off. Even though the jack-o-lantern was busted where it dropped he knew some underwear needed changing. With todays modern cameras it would have been priceless to see the whole thing transpire on video. Mind you this was 30 plus years ago. If flash cubes are even available these days they made great igniters. I'm thinking a perimeter trip wire set up a foot off the ground or so would work great here.