Thread: refinishing a bed frame

refinishing a bed frame

I bought a used bed frame online that I thought was more of a scandinavian teak color but is more golden oak. I thought I could refinish it but apparently its not veneer, but a laminate (an IKEA bed)

I read that cannot be sanded and restained as veneer might, though I tried and it seems to sand off a bit and take a stain, though I just did a sample

Would this be possible to do and have a good job? Other sites say used a gel stain.

Gel stain is used on fiberglass doors so I suspect it will work on the laminate, as long as you rough it up a little with sandpaper as you did in your experiment.

John

If it is a fiberglass veneer with a 'wood texture' be very careful sanding it. The grain is just a depression with a different color or color build-up in it. It's pretty easy to remove or reduce that texture, and therefore the grain, using an electric sander. Painful lesson for me. Next time I run into something like that I'll try chemical stripping.
    Mark McFarlane

Most of Ikea's wood look furniture is veneer, but there may be some particular pieces that are laminate or melamine. Gel stain might work to darken it. Paint is certainly another option. In both cases, minor abrasion may be required for adhesion. I personally have painted some Ikea pieces over the years with no issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...