Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Buy a SawStop

Where to Buy a SawStop

After kicking around multiple options, I've decided to buy a SawStop 3HP cabinet saw. (The Harvey is very attractive, but in the end, I wanted the SawStop technology and it makes Mrs. Pat feel better.)

I called my local Woodcraft to ask about availability. To my utter astonishment, they actually have multiple 36" SawStop cabinet saws in stock at that particular store. I know I could possibly save some money ordering the saw online, but considering the completely bonkers situation with logistics here in 2022, a SawStop that's actually in stock locally seems like a pretty good option.

However, since things are constantly changing, I would welcome opinions and suggestions here. Should I just pony up at Woodcraft, or would I be better off ordering a SawStop online?

Thanks!

If that local Woodcraft has the specific Sawstop item you want and you have the ability to transport the saw/pallet to your location, I would do that. When ordering online, you'll have to pay shipping (probably $400-600). There's also a risk of shipping damage you may have to deal with if you do online order. The basic retail price is going to be the same wherever you get the Sawstop. Woodcraft online website has excellent shipping prices, but this does not apply to Sawstop.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 07-05-2022 at 1:10 PM.

I seriously doubt you're going to find substantial discounts on the SS "out there", but you can check reputable vendors like Tool Nut, etc., to see what they offer...but also consider there may be shipping cost from some vendors. If you have a local Woodcraft franchise, you can bring it home "now" and you're supporting what is likely a local business owner in the process. And if something isn't quite right, you have a local throat to, um...you know...constrict....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I seriously doubt you're going to find substantial discounts on the SS "out there", but you can check reputable vendors like Tool Nut, etc., to see what they offer...but also consider there may be shipping cost from some vendors. If you have a local Woodcraft franchise, you can bring it home "now" and you're supporting what is likely a local business owner in the process. And if something isn't quite right, you have a local throat to, um...you know...constrict....
    Very good points, Jim. I do indeed like to support local businesses and like the idea of customer support I can easily reach.

I'm wondering if the saw could be loaded into my midsize pickup (it's a Jeep Gladiator) or if a larger truck would be required which would also require a local delivery fee.

I loaded mine in my Honda Ridgeline. With all the numerous boxes of the saw, fence, base, etc. it filled it comfortably. Set some help at your shop as the saw is heavy. I slid mine out on some 2X 10s but after getting it halfway down and couldn't finish it, a neighbor drove by and helped. I assembled it myself using a Harbon F. chain hoist but it would have been a lot easier with a friendly helper.

I purchased mine from the local Woodcraft and they "loaned" me the mobile base freely with a handshake promise I would return the one the company shipped to my home in exchange. Nice gesture as you want to assemble the mobile base as a first step to overall assembly.

Saw Stop is pretty firm on their pricing guidelines. I doubt you will find any deviation from one vendor to the next other than shipping. I was told that their products never go on sale other than a free mobile base or dust collector blade guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Weber View Post
    I loaded mine in my Honda Ridgeline. With all the numerous boxes of the saw, fence, base, etc. it filled it comfortably. Set some help at your shop as the saw is heavy. I slid mine out on some 2X 10s but after getting it halfway down and couldn't finish it, a neighbor drove by and helped. I assembled it myself using a Harbon F. chain hoist but it would have been a lot easier with a friendly helper.

I purchased mine from the local Woodcraft and they "loaned" me the mobile base freely with a handshake promise I would return the one the company shipped to my home in exchange. Nice gesture as you want to assemble the mobile base as a first step to overall assembly.
    This is very helpful. Thank you, Al. My neighbor has a high school boy who is happy to help me lift things. I will be sure enlist his support.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Saw Stop is pretty firm on their pricing guidelines. I doubt you will find any deviation from one vendor to the next other than shipping. I was told that their products never go on sale other than a free mobile base or dust collector blade guard.
    I thought I might be able to save some money on sales tax, but when you add the cost of shipping, it's likely a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I called my local Woodcraft to ask about availability. To my utter astonishment, they actually have multiple 36" SawStop cabinet saws in stock at that particular store. I know I could possibly save some money ordering the saw online, but considering the completely bonkers situation with logistics here in 2022, a SawStop that's actually in stock locally seems like a pretty good option.
    I agree with Jim, SawStop doesn't really DO discounts. At best once or twice a year they throw in the ICS mobile base, or the piping for the dust collection built into the arm. If you're willing to wait a few months you could save money that way. Otherwise I'd go ahead with the purchase.

Also at this point a lot of the shipping/stock issues appear to have resolved themselves, and in the case of general merchandisers, like Target/Walmart, OVER resolved themselves. So if you're not in ANY hurry, and want to gamble, maybe in 6 months to a year there might be some recession sales or Craigslist bargains.

I'm wondering if the saw could be loaded into my midsize pickup (it's a Jeep Gladiator) or if a larger truck would be required which would also require a local delivery fee.
    Your Gladiator should be just fine...I suspect it's multiple boxes, too...saw plus fence, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Your Gladiator should be just fine...I suspect it's multiple boxes, too...saw plus fence, for example.

That's what mine was, though obviously we don't know what the local WoodCraft might have done. The only issue might be the "52 inch" rail, which is more like 72-80" all told. The 36" rail is likewise longer by a couple of feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    That's what mine was, though obviously we don't know what the local WoodCraft might have done. The only issue might be the "52 inch" rail, which is more like 72-80" all told. The 36" rail is likewise longer by a couple of feet.
    I'm going a 36". I just don't have the room for a 52".

Pat,

Put a couple of 2 x 10s in the bed. Have Woodcraft lay the saw on its side on the boards near the cab. When you get home pull the boards and saw out the back until the boards tip and the saw slides to the bottom. Then you can use a 2 wheel dolly to roll it into the shop.

5he Woodcraft I bought my saw at suggested this and it works great.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

If someone picks it up at the store , does the price increase and is shipping totally removed ?

I thought I might be able to save some money on sales tax, but when you add the cost of shipping, it's likely a wash.
    um.............................those days are long gone.

Unless your state doesn't have sales tax.