Thread: Moving is such a pain

Moving is such a pain

We moved from NC to GA 2 years ago. Moved from GA to SC 1 year ago. Been slowly setting up the s'hanger (airplane hanger converted to a shop). Finished dust collection setup a couple of weeks ago. I decided it was time to get busy on the lathe. Turned a bunch of cherry and then picked up some Bradford Pear, ~ 24" diameter from a local church site. Decided to core one blank and haven't found the handle for the McNaughton since the move. I did the coring with no handle. Not sure I want to do that again although the results were the best I have done. I did 3 cores and in reflecting on the results, I could easily have done 5.

I've spent a few hours looking through boxes and totes for the handle to no avail. A replacement is $90+. Bought a piece of 1/2 pipe yesterday to make a $20 handle until the real handle is uncovered. I'll see how this goes.

Necessity is the mother of invention! You could buy some pipe and use set screws. Black pipe should work, maybe an insert to size the pipe down to tang of the coring blade. Cloth wrap, or some handle wrap for bikes or golf clubs. You do know that if you buy a new one, you will find the old one the day it arrives...

robo hippy

Changing the title to "Never Fails"

Thanks Reed. That is what I did. Bought 3' of 1/2 pipe last evening and some 6-1.0 socket head screws for set screws. After posting the above went, I went to the s'hanger and ran a 5/8" drill bit down the pipe which gave the clearance for the tooling to fit. Marked two locations for set screws and drilled pilot holes. Looked for the tap for the socket head screws and found some 1/4-20 set screws and tap so there would be minimal perturbation. Reached into the lathe tool storage cabinet to get my handy-dandy card of screws, taps and drill size guide and gutta-bing, there was the McNaughton handle in the storage rack looking at me. The rings on the handle made me think it was laughing at me. Most of my lathe tool handles are on the right side. This one was on the left, LOL!

Never fails that when you buy a replacement for something-or-another, you find the original.

I've got pictures so it did happen!
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 07-05-2022 at 1:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    …, there was the McNaughton handle in the storage rack looking at me. The rings on the handle made me think it was laughing at me. …
    Some of my tools laugh at me, too.

Glad you found it!

I call that the Bermuda Triangle factor. Need it, then you don't see it. Looking for something else? The 1st search item shows up in plain sight.