Thread: Problem with Tucker vice

Blog Entries

Problem with Tucker vice

I entered this previously but I think it used the wrong forum. I have a Tucker Vice that I purchased new in the 90s. It has worked great however recently I'm not able to tighten the vice enough to hold anything. As soon as there's any resistance the screw slips. The the quick release seems to work fine but when I am closing the vice and tightening the quick release mechanism activates disengaging the screw and the vice won't tighten. It just slips. I replaced the return spring and have lubricated moving surfaces with WD-40 dry lube but am not having any success. I am going to look for a stronger spring but the one that came with the vice has worked fine. I was able to get a replacement from Veritas and it made no difference. Any help would be appreciated.

I would closely inspect the quick release nut. They are usually made of a softer metal than the threaded rod (hardened) and over time the threads in the quick release nut wear out to where they no longer fully engage.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ralph. I have been suspicious of the nut but not having a new one I had nothing to compare it to. I'll check with Veritas and see if they have any parts laying around yet. If they don't do you have any suggestions on what I could do. All I can think of is to take the nut to a machine shop and have them make another. Hopefully Veritas would have a print. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Craig, I was looking at the drawings on the patent website. So you replaced that little coil spring under the halfnut? If so, I agree that it sounds like a worn nut. A machine shop should be able to bore out your nut, make a threaded sleeve to fit, cut in half and fix it in place. Maybe. Obviously if Lee Valley thought ahead they would have these in stock as its one of the only wear items on that vise.

According to my old catalogs that vise is made from ZA-12 alloy.

Greg

Since it’s a Veritas vise wouldn’t Lee Valley be able to help?

I would contact Lee Valley. They were very helpful when the half nut on my York vise (sold by LV) went south on me. I bought 4 of them for spares and I have used 2 of them already. If Lee Valley can't help with spare parts then finding a machine shop to make one is the next best bet. I couldn't find a machine shop in my area willing to make a half nut for me. I was lucky that after contacting Lee Valley by email they bought half nut spares from the company and I bought 4 from them. LV still sells the vise I have and when I get down to one half nut spare I'll order 4 more.