Thread: Another "which one?" question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another "which one?" question

I want to make my own clock dials, using 0.04" sheet brass. These dials are just under 7" diameter.

The attached image is close to what I want, and was made by etching with ferric chloride on a photo-resist. That method is inconsistent, with almost a 90% failure rate. But I can get fine detail as well as wider etched areas to accept the dark wax that's used to mark the numerals. I'm not going to pass these clocks off as 18th C., but I want buyers to consider them as a competitor for those antiques. In the attachment there is a larger square plate with the numbers and minute ring, as well as a round piece that was etched all the way through. I know that a round CNC bit can't make the sharp joints seen in that overlaid piece, but if I go the CNC route, the machine would have to do well at the main dial. Price point: at $2,000 I'd wonder why I hadn't done this long ago. At $5,000 I'd be satisfied, as long as it does everything I need. Over $6,000 I couldn't justify it...pay somebody else to do it.

The Nomad 3 (by Carbide 3d) says the right things, but a seller's claims won't really tell me whether I'll get precision equal or greater than what I already have. I like their policy of selling the full software without a 'subscription'.

So I don't know:
    - Can any CNC give me very sharp, very tiny script (see the name, printed near the center of the overlaid piece, and the stylized "K" symbols between the Roman Numerals).
    - Will a machine that's excellent for these dials still be excellent with a 2' x 2' bed (or greater) for the day when I go to CNC wood projects? I can see a CNC for roughing out floral 'carvings' (etc) in clocks or furniture.

What would you folks buy to do this work?
    Dial.jpg
    Last edited by David Kenagy; 07-04-2022 at 5:31 PM.