Thread: Switching From Standard To Self Closing Hinges

Switching From Standard To Self Closing Hinges

I'd like to change out the Euro style hinges on our kitchen cabinets to self closing ones. The doors are standard frame and panel cherry. I've seen suggestion that just changing one hinge instead of both is adequate. Any experience in this regard? They are Grass 1006 30 hinges if that matters.

Knowing engineers, they design the system to work with 2/door, so with larger doors they might not be soft close at all and I suspect it may shorten the life of the soft close mechanism. Have you considered adding something like this, 1 per door. Brian

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/hi...EaAspJEALw_wcB
    Brian

The grass tiomos series hinges have three adjustable self closing force settings which makes it easy to compensate for door size and weight. I usually end up using the lightest setting for typical lower and upper frame and panel doors, and medium or high setting for larger or heavier doors. I've always used the same hinges for all the hinges on a door.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Interesting idea. I may order just one and test it out. I assume they will work with most any Euro style hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Knowing engineers, they design the system to work with 2/door, so with larger doors they might not be soft close at all and I suspect it may shorten the life of the soft close mechanism. Have you considered adding something like this, 1 per door. Brian

Many versions/brands out there, I assume it doesn't matter what hinges, but I would verify application details with the mfg.

Ken, euro hinges have two parts: a mounting plate, and the hinge itself. If you replace the whole hinge, most brands of hinges are physically interchangeable. However, to do what you want, you really only need to swap out the hinge part. To do just that, stick to your original source -- Grass.

Was about to suggest the product that Brian linked to. Blum makes a similar one that is adjustable for closing speed: https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/bl...blumotion.html

At $3/ea, much cheaper than changing out hinges.

I put these on every cabinet door in our house. One screw and it's done - super easy. I can't believe people build kitchens with soft close slides and let cabinet doors slam.

It's pretty much standard practice in cabinet making.

Not exactly.

The amount of resistance to slamming is totally dependent on the size and weight of the door. Sometimes a door needs only one damper activated and sometimes it’s two. If I had a pantry that had five hinges on it and all were activated , you’d have to wait ten min. for it to fully close. 2-3 is usually the correct number to match the brand’s soft close drawer timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Was about to suggest the product that Brian linked to. Blum makes a similar one that is adjustable for closing speed: https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/bl...blumotion.html

I put these on every cabinet door in our house. One screw and it's done - super easy. I can't believe people build kitchens with soft close slides and let cabinet doors slam.
    Those are not adjustable for closing speed / resistance. What is adjustable is the projection of the piston in the closed position to facilitate the alignment of the door faces at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Those are not adjustable for closing speed / resistance. What is adjustable is the projection of the piston in the closed position to facilitate the alignment of the door faces at rest.
    No, that's not correct. The screw adjusts the open extension of the plunger, which controls the amount of time spent "soft closing". In closed position, the plunger is flush and the door alignment unaffected.

Blog Entries
    The cabs I built with std door sizes for under the sink did fine with only one hinge activated, if I remember correctly.

But yeah, if you can get away with just change one piece vs both pieces, I would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Not exactly.

The amount of resistance to slamming is totally dependent on the size and weight of the door. Sometimes a door needs only one damper activated and sometimes it’s two. If I had a pantry that had five hinges on it and all were activated , you’d have to wait ten min. for it to fully close. 2-3 is usually the correct number to match the brand’s soft close drawer timing.
    Maybe I did it wrong, but two vanities, pantry, linen, cabinets and others, all the hinges were soft close and they work fine. Brian
    Brian

Maybe I did it wrong, but two vanities, pantry, linen, cabinets and others, all the hinges were soft close and they work fine. Brian

You didn't do it wrong.

Like I said - it's dependent on the particular door's weight and size. And if you're happy with how they close, great - they're your cabinet(s). We prefer to have the timing of all door's close to be the same -and- matched as closely as possible to the drawers too. And we've found that most base cabinet doors need 1 soft close mech. engaged for that to happen. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

Thanks for the link Dan. I just ordered 50 of the Blumotion 971A poly bag version, which includes the spacer for partial offset doors and screws. $2.99 each, qty 50 from Amazon. Free overnight delivery.
    Mark McFarlane