Thread: Thinking About a DF 500 Domino

Thinking About a DF 500 Domino

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of projects coming up that will require numerous mortise and tenon joints. I have a Powermatic 701 that I’ve used in the past. I like to hear from those who have a DF 500 and if they believe it can take the place of a mortise and tenon joint. This would be a huge time saver and I can also use it to joint boards.

I can get it from Amazon and if I sign up for a Visa card I can get $200 off and maybe 18 months interest free financing.

Below are the two items I’m looking to get. Do I need anything else?

Festool 574432 Domino Joiner DF 500 Q Set

Festool 498899 Assorted Domino Beech Tenons and Cutters in T-Loc Systainer

Thanks,

Mike

I have a PM719, Domino 500 and a Pantorouter. All perform their intended tasks very well.

My PM719 seems to collect the most dust. For M&T joints, on solid wood, I tend to go to the Pantorouter.

For sheet goods, I use the Domino 500.

If I could only have one of these three tools, it would be the Domino 500.

After I got a domino I ditched the mortice attachment on my Combination machine.

I replaced the 500 with a 700 since it is a better fit for the things I have been making. A 700 with a Seneca Tools bit adapter will have a much larger range of uses, although it is more expensive.

A properly sized domino is as good as a classic M & T joint.
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 07-07-2022 at 7:27 PM.

I don't have the 500 but I do have the 700 as that was more appropriate for my needs when I bought it similar to Greg. Domino...in either flavor...is a very worthy tool. IMHO, it's the "one Festool product" that to-date is unequalled in usability, versatility and time savings.

Whether or not a Domino joint is appropriate for a particular project is something one must consider relative to the design, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use my Domino on almost every project I do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

it's so good, it's like cheating. It's a game changer.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I have the 500, not the 700, and find it incredibly useful. Not sure if the 700 would be better, as I've never found the need for larger dominos. YMMV, but I'd say pick it up.

For accessories, i know people make their own dominos, but I'm happy I bought the systainer with the assortment. I use the 1/2" 3/4" Domiplate from Seneca Woodworking all the time. It goes in and out of stock, but I really think it makes most work easier. It also does fit in the systainer, with a tiny bit of jiggling.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-08-2022 at 8:01 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The only mortise and tenon joint that the Domino mya not be appropriate for is a through joint as there can be tiny openings visible because of the way the Domino is made. Since buying the Domino I have used it for all joinery work. It has allowed me to make pieces that I might not otherwise attempted using M & T joints. I have never been sorry I bought it. It’s easy to use and the joints are strong. If you buy it, do yourself a favor. Start out with some easy projects and/or practice. It can be a little tricky sometimes to get the cuts on the right surface good “plunging” technique is important.

To answer your other question what you plan to buy maybe all you ever need. There are a lot of accessories for the Domino from other tool manufacturers but the Domino is a tool that really ne day no accessories other than the ones sold with the kit. It works really well on its own with those Festool accessories in the kit.

I had the 500. Loved it. I sold it and bought a 700. I like the 700 better bkz it’s more versatile. There is a small bit adapter from Seneca that lets you do everything on the 700 that the 500 can.

Contrary to the experience of others, I find I use the larger tenons often.

If you are primarily looking to join cabinets, the 500 may be less fatiguing to use. But that’s it.

The issue of cheating when using a domino is a 10 year old subject that I hope the world has moved on from. This tool can do many things from panel alignment to mortises to slot cutting and is a nice arrow in the quiver. It’s half way between a router and drill, and gets used for more things than was initially obvious to me.

I had a 1/2 HP Jet benchtop mortiser when I bought my DF700. I never used it again after getting the domino and sold it to a friend. I did not like the level of effort to make the first cut with the hollow chisel mortiser and it was hugely slower than the domino.

I have yet to buy a domino tenon but I got my 700 used and the previous owner included some 12mm ones he had left over. I've pretty well used them up. It saves time to have them in a box ready to go. But at times I wonder if it does not result in worse joints. When I need a mortise wider than the domino can cut in one pass, I just plunge it multiple times to create the mortise width I need. Then I make tenon stock to match. I think sometimes people use a smaller than appropriate domino tenon so they don't have to make one resulting in a weaker joint. Anyway, even if you buy some I would only use them when their size is really appropriate for what you are doing. If you avoid the trap of using just the pre-made tenons there is absolutely no reason a domino made mortise and tenon joint should be weaker than a conventional mortise and tenon.

I also buy "off brand" cutters from CMT or Amana. They work fine and are about half as expensive. I got the 700 instead of the 500 mainly due to the limited depth of cut of the 500. It is only about an inch. 700 can cut about 2 3/4 inches deep. You can make overlapping cuts to cut wider joints but if you can't get the depth you need your joint will be weaker. I am very happy with the 700. One advantage I haven't seen mentioned often is space. The 700 takes up a lot less space than even a benchtop hollow chisel mortiser and in my small shop that is appreciated.

I can't imagine using the 700. Maybe for larger pieces, but I find the 500 awkward enough at times.

Be advised that the Domino should be considered a gateway drug (tool). You try it for a while, and a year later your credit card is maxed out and there are green tools all over the place.......

Also keep in mind that Dominos require a good dust collector. This is mandatory.

I believe there is a 30 day no questions asked return policy. So there's little risk if buying new.

I bought a used 500 from this site years ago and I definitely use it a lot. It bails me out of design problems that I might not have thought all the way through. I think it is a pretty intuitive and easy to use tool. It doesn't need much in the way of accessories. Ramon Valdez makes a docking station for it that's pretty sweet if your projects require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a bunch of projects coming up that will require numerous mortise and tenon joints. I have a Powermatic 701 that I’ve used in the past. I like to hear from those who have a DF 500 and if they believe it can take the place of a mortise and tenon joint. This would be a huge time saver and I can also use it to joint boards.

I can get it from Amazon and if I sign up for a Visa card I can get $200 off and maybe 18 months interest free financing.

Below are the two items I’m looking to get. Do I need anything else?

Festool 574432 Domino Joiner DF 500 Q Set

Festool 498899 Assorted Domino Beech Tenons and Cutters in T-Loc Systainer

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike, it may come down to the speed and mass production potential of a machine joint vs slower but repairable traditional joinery.

I purchased a DF500 several years ago as, like yourself, I needed to make a whole lot of mortice-and-tenon joints. In my case, a kitchen full of frame-and-panel doors. It worked very well, was easy to set up and produced a decent joint that has lasted. Since then the DF500 has been used a half dozen times, and only on furniture which needed to be assembled quickly. I enjoy the art and craftsmanship of traditional joinery, much of which I can do with hand tools. So, in my case, a machine tool is not the first choice. That said, I do not plan on selling it as it will be useful in the years to come.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-09-2022 at 1:27 AM.

I echo what Prashun said. Had 500, bought 700 with adapter then sold 500 as i can do all sizes with 700. 500 is not versatile enough but it is lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mike, it may come down to the speed and mass production potential of a machine joint vs slower but repairable traditional joinery.

I purchased a DF500 several years ago as, like yourself, I needed to make a whole lot of mortice-and-tenon joints. In my case, a kitchen full of frame-and-panel doors. It worked very well, was easy to set up and produced a decent joint that has lasted. Since then the DF500 has been used a half dozen times, and only on furniture which needed to be assembled quickly. I enjoy the art and craftsmanship of traditional joinery, much of which I can do with hand tools. So, in my case, a machine tool is not the first choice. That said, I do not plan on selling it as it will be useful in the years to come.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Well said Derek, I always value your opinion.